11 Comments That Will, With 95% Confidence, Significantly Annoy Stats Majors

"Can you do my homework for me? Can you take my exam for me???"

51
adrian_s / Flickr

Being a statistics major has a variety of perks. You're learning about so many things, starting off with the basic concepts of statistics, where you learn about means, medians, and distributions, and then you go into probabilities, proportions, random variables, samples, and hypotheses, among other things. You learn to put these in practice through Z-tests and T-tests, as well as paired and independent two-sample tests, as well as through Analysis of Variance (ANOVA), experimental design, and regression, and you learn to use regression models to assess goodness of fit or homogeneity. The best of all, you get to apply the concepts into a variety of fields where making decisions is important, such as healthcare or utility use, where you investigate a multitude of potential explanatory factors for your response (dependent) variable. You get to use your understanding of statistics in real life.

1. "You must be really smart."

Oh, my goodness. Really? That's not the first time I've heard that.

Well, you are really smart if you're able to master statistics, since there's nothing easy about it. But the fact of the matter is, just because you struggle to understand statistics does NOT make you less smart than somebody who does. It's because you may be more knowledgeable in subjects other than statistics.

2. "You're probably really good at math."

Let's be real, statistics isn't just math. Sure, math is involved, and you do math in statistics, but math isn't the only thing that enables you to understand statistics. You understand statistics when you make the effort to master the language that statistics is.

3. "I'm really bad at statistics."

Come on. Seriously. The only reason you're saying that is because you only care enough to barely pass the class. I won't tell you that if you say that to me, but THAT is the exact reason why you say "I'm really bad at statistics".

4. "I hate statistics."

Tell me about it. I bet the only reason is because you find it to be difficult. Well, perhaps consider putting in some more effort. It's not worth failing and then having to retake the class.

5. "I would never be able to do that."

If you continue to have that mindset, then yes, you will never be able to major in statistics.

6. "You have no social life."

What basis do you have to tell someone this? I can prove to you that I actually DO have one. First, I chose statistics because it's my life and it's my decision to major in it. I'm not going to criticize you for making your life choices anymore, so why do it to me? Also, just like every other college major, I have homework, I have studying and learning to do, and I make sure I do my homework early and on time. Once I've done that, I can then do whatever I need or want to do with the time I still have.

7. "Can you do my homework for me?"

Yes, I probably have the mastery to do it, but no, I will not do it for you. Can I help you with it? Sure. The matter is, I can't do it for you for two main reasons. First, you won't learn anything; second, both of us get in trouble.

8. "Can you take my exam for me?"

Refer to 7. Also, this reflects negatively on you since it suggests you aren't willing to prepare, and it shows that you aren't a great student. Major character red flag.

9. "You're such a nerd."

What's the point of that? 'Nerds' aren't just limited to the quantitative fields. You can be a "nerd" in ANY subject. "Nerd" is a slang word used to describe someone who is superior in one subject than others. Just for your information, I could be considered a savant in piano, but that doesn't mean I'm a 'nerd' when it comes to music.

10. "You're probably always tired, aren't you?"

No, not always. Sure I'm tired sometimes, but not always tired. My schedule as of right now has 8 AM classes but that's the only time I really feel tired in the morning except for when I'm feeling sleepy in the evening right before bed. The truth is, I'm not ALWAYS tired, but I'm definitely tired from time to time.

11. "I just don't understand this stuff."

If you don't understand it, find help. If you have to go to the professor's office hours, or go to the tutoring center, there's nobody stopping you except you. Just do it. Or, look back to your notes and textbook.

The fact of the matter is, statistics majors understand all of these feelings, but they don't need you to point that out for them. They understand that you will struggle, but don't tell them that straight up since they know you can be better at it than you say you are. Put in the effort to understand it, and be proactive in doing your best. Those who chose to study statistics did so because it was their choice, and they feel that they are talented at it. Also, they're passionate about statistics. They wouldn't have it any other way.