10 Ways To Tell It's Term Break At Hiram

It's term break at Hiram and it's quieter than ever!

15
usnews.com

Hiram College is unique for a lot of reasons, and I’m not just saying that because I’m a tour guide (or am I?). One special feature is our semester split; rather than just having a regular fifteen-week long semester, we split them into a twelve-week and a three-week. We start each semester in the twelve-week and we generally take three or four (sometimes more) classes and we end in the three-week, when we take one class. The three-week can be hardcore because of how focused it is, but it’s also a nice break from having to juggle a bunch of different assignments and, for those who like to travel, it’s also the perfect time to go on a study abroad.

It also means we get more breaks than the rest of you! On top of the standard winter and spring breaks, we get term breaks that fall in between the twelve and the three. Term break is what I’m going to talk about, since I’m on one right now. Without further ado:

Here’s a list of 10 ways you can tell it’s term break at Hiram!

1. There isn’t a whole lot going on in the life of your Odyssey writer, so she writes a listicle!
  2. There isn’t a whole lot going on anywhere, really.
  3. Like, you thought it was quiet before, check it out now. I think I heard a horse and buggy twelve miles away.
  4. At first, you’re haunted by a buzzing in the back of your head that you’ve forgotten to do something. Then you realize that there’s nothing left to do and that you can relax (for now)!
  5. Your email isn’t filled to bursting every time you open it!
  6. Your PO Box, on the other hand, is sporadically receiving books for the three-week. That, or the service center’s getting them.
  7. If you’re like me, you crack open a book you’ve been meaning to read for a while. And, boy, did you forget how good it feels to read for pleasure.
  8. You also have a chance to get caught up on any TV you’ve missed out on before new seasons come out in June (such as “Orange is the New Black” and “Steven Universe”).
  9. If you stick around on campus, you can get crazy good hours at the office because everybody else has gone back home! Yay money!
  10. If you didn’t have the itch for summer vacation before, you sure have it now!

See you all next week! Just a little farther and we’re home free! And stressing about how next year you’ll be a senior… that’s just me though.