10 Ways To Set Yourself Up For Success In College

There is more that your orientation leader didn't tell you, it's all important.

147
Pixar

There are many steps you can take in order to set yourself up for success in college. This means success academically, in extra activities, in relationships, and regarding your physical health.

1. Let Yourself Cry... A Lot.

Yep, you heard me. People like to think that it is healthy to "only" cry when you are sad, or when something really terrible happens, but I am a huge supporter of a daily cry. It doesn't need to last hours, but maybe just 9-12 minutes of crying, wipe your makeup up, and go about your day as if nothing had happened. It just feels good to let it out. Letting your clouds sit behind your eyeballs for too long will make you less productive, it's science.

2. Find Your Study Spot, And Then Actually Use It.

This one seems obvious, but finding a consistent spot where you can go creates an environment of peace and focus. Trying to study while sitting on a ping pong table, that is sometimes used for beer pong, and sometimes used for eating on doesn't scream 4.0. It doesn't need to be the library either. Maybe it's an academic building that has a cozy corner, or a shady table area behind the library. Wherever it is, find it, and have a seasonal alternative. Unless studying in the snow is your thing.

3. Find Friends That You Can Be A Little Mean To.

This one is possibly the most pivotal. Friends, you can be mean to are friendships where you are comfortable telling them to STFU in the library or to order to read you a bedtime story just because you think it would be funny. Surface level friendships are not as helpful when the chips are down, and for whatever reason, the chips may be down several times a week. That's just the nature of college. I mean, don't be a rude person, but remember why you're at college, and try to enjoy it. College is a sensitive time, and you need tough friends.

4. Don't Be Afraid To Pull An All-Nighter.

It's truly not that bad. If you can get 3 hours of sleep, and then recover the following night, or even the next day, you're going to be just fine. The key here is that you shouldn't pull an all-nighter when the assignment(s) you work on are due the next day. You can get the bulk of substantive work done and a good quality base, but love yourself enough to not wait until the day something is due. Your professors and GPA will thank you.

5. Treat. Yo. Self.

This is the only thing getting me through college, and I'm not even halfway done. Yeah, saving money is really important, and you're probably already broke because, well, college. But if Sonic is calling your name, then you should just get it. College is a time of unfulfillment. You know what is fulfilling? 50 cent wings on Thursdays at Sonic. Treat yo self.

6. Laying On Your Floor Is Good.

Even if it's tile with a rug, or carpet, sometimes laying in your floor just makes your body feel good. It's not productive, it's not sanitary, but it is necessary. There really is no science behind this one.

7. Adidas Sweatpants.

Y'know the ones that are like joggers, black, and pretty much go with any shoe? Yeah- those. I watched a thousand youtube videos before my freshman year of college, and some girl said that she wouldn't make it through college without them. So I told my dad I needed a pair if I wanted to make it to grad school, and lo and behold, I had myself a pair. After one and half years, I can confirm. They are a must. If you have been surviving college without them, bless you. Because I don't know how.

8. Put Your Textbook Under Your Pillow At Night.

This especially works the night before an exam. If you have some indirect contact with textbooks at all time, you will absorb the information through your brain. Science.

9. The McDonald's App.

Any college student who isn't using this every single time they go through the drive-through is missing out. I haven't paid for a large fountain drink in weeks, and I almost always get some kind of free food with my purchase. 10/10 recommend.

10. Try New Things.

Because chances are, your parents are not the same as they were when they graduated high school, and neither should you be. Grow. Change. Make mistakes. Have unusual success. Get set back. It'll be okay, because college is all about taking risks and becoming someone more refined than everyone you knew in high school.