10 Ways That Quarantine Improved Ramadan

As much as quarantine sucks, it really had its perks this Ramadan.

Quarantine made my life a lot easier this year.

1. No iftar parties

Image by Konstantins Jaunzems from Pixabay

The exhausting socialization after a long day of fasting was avoided, and I didn't even have to do my makeup all month.

2. I was able to not go to taraweh without feeling guilty about it

Photo by Milad B. Fakurian on Unsplash

If I ever didn't go to taraweh in the past I would have felt bad, but it wasn't even an option this year. As much as I appreciate seeing my friends at the masjid, having no taraweh made it easier to slow down at the end of the day. Sometimes it can be exhausting on top of the fast. Instead, I could worship on my own terms and at home.

3. Classes were a lot easier to get through

Photo by Steinar Engeland on Unsplash

Running to class to class while fasting was something I happily avoided this year.

4. It was easier to fast

Azrul Aziz via Unsplash

Since I was not required to run from place to place, it was a lot easier to keep my fast by relaxing at home.

5. More time for self reflection

Photo by Lek Nikto on Unsplash

Everything was slowed down due to quarantine, that means I had a lot more time with my thoughts.

6. More family time

Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash

There were no distractions from my family this year. Since they are my main source of human interaction, I had to appreciate them in a new way.

7. Zoom made more connections possible

Photo by Fabian Irsara on Unsplash

In response to COVID we resorted to "Zoom iftars", and masjids provided services through streaming. Everything was a lot more accessible this way. I'm also doing a family Zoom for Eid. I will actually be seeing family members I normally would not have gotten to see otherwise.

8. We were able to break our fast on time every day, no distractions

Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay

Another perk of online classes and school being shut down, is that I always could be at home when iftar was happening.

9. I didn’t have to suffer through hangouts with people who didn’t understand my struggle

Image by Luis Wilker Perelo WilkerNet from Pixabay

When people around you aren't fasting, you feel the pressure to still act 100%. When you haven't eaten and your sleep schedule is off, it can get really tiring. I was so happy I didn't have to deal with people badgering for my attention while I was fasting this year.

10. Less temptations to eat

Image by Mufid Majnun from Pixabay

Another perk of quarantine and not having people around you is that you didn't have to watch anyone eat in front of you while you were fasting.