10 Ways My Life Is Effected By Dyslexia

10 Ways My Life Is Effected By Dyslexia

It wasn't considered to be an actual learning disability until 2016, a year after I graduated high school.

198
10 Ways My Life Is Effected By Dyslexia
Wynne Eye Associates

Dyslexia. It wasn't considered to be an actual learning disability until 2016, a year after I graduated high school. Even after dyslexia legally became recognized, some schools still did not give accommodations for it. That played a key roll into me waiting a year before I decided to go to college. In this article I am going to tell you 10 ways that dyslexia has effected my life.

1. School is a struggle, especially math.

The results are different for every person with dyslexia. For some it makes it harder for them to read or spell. For me math is the struggle. If you have ever looked at a page and your eyes wouldn't focus on it, you have experienced only a sliver of what I see when I look at a page and try to solve a math problem. When I am looking at a math page and sometimes when I am reading as well, letters and numbers will turn backwards and spin. For example, a capital E might look like a 3 and vice versa.

2. It is easy to feel left out and to feel alone.

I am a very outgoing person for the most part but sometimes I feel like an outcast and have a shy streak in me. It is easy for a dyslexic to be socially awkward at times. I know from experience that it is easy to let yourself slip into the shadows when hanging out with a group of people. One thing that helps me from slipping into the shadows is having friends and a boyfriend who always make sure that I am included in things.

3. It is hard to focus on things.

I think this is an issue for most high school and college students but it's typically worse for a dyslexic. For me, I will be focused for about the first hour but as time goes by it gets harder and harder for me to stay focused on the task that I need to do. Sometimes, no matter what I do, I for some reason can't regain focus so I have to take a break for a little bit then come back to the task I was doing. I have to do this a few times depending on how long the task is going to take me. In college having a study buddy really helps because they can keep me focused.

4. Tests are of the devil.

Now all tests are hard but imagine not being about to stay focused on top of a page starting to spin and blur while you are reading it. This is an issue I am constantly dealing with. Timed tests are the worst, especially when you know you studied but all of the sudden your mind goes blank. When I am taking a timed test it is like the stress gets to me and it causes me to forget everything I had studied. One thing that really helps is when you have discussed your situation with your professors and they help you.

5. You take jokes personally sometimes and it is easy to get your feelings hurt.

Most of the time it is easy to tell when someone is joking around but occasionally I take things a little to personal. It is also really easy to get my feelings hurt by little things such as someone raising their voice or anything like that. This is something I have had to learn to over come but it is harder than you think.

6. You make decisions impulsively.

Some decisions you make don't really require much thinking but sometime there are decisions that you need to sit down and think about. That's where the issues begin. Depending on the situation that is surrounding you it is hard for a dyslexic to slow down and think before making a decision.

7. Occasionally you lose your temper easily.

When it comes to dyslexia it effects more than just school, it also effects your social life and other areas of your life. For me sometimes it effects my temper. It changes every day the different things that can set off my temper. The slightest things that normally wouldn't bother someone more than likely gets under my skin. It's best to know when to bite your tongue and just not say anything.

8. Your brain can only handle so much at once.

Being dyslexic causes more problems than most realize when working on a computer or with paper I have to take breaks periodically in order to let my brain rest so that I can think clearer as I keep going. With dyslexia, it is easy for your brain to become overwhelmed so you have to pace yourself when you are working. Your brain will also try to think of multiple things at once which for me usually ends with me in bed with a migraine.

9. Stuttering happens occasionally.

When it comes to speech, you can expect some stuttering. Especially when you are excited about something or you have something come to your mind randomly and you have to stay it before you forget. Once you start stuttering though you automatically get embarrassed which just causes you to stutter more. Sometimes it is hard to notice my stutter but other times it is the most noticeable thing in the world.

10. Your memory is great when it comes to events and people, but with math equations and such your memory is pretty bad.

My memory is great when it comes to events. I can remember anything I've done like Rock The South or family events. I can also remember people that I've met at random places at random moments and be able to spot them in a crowd. But don't ask me to tell you a math equation because we will be there for hours and it will result in you trying to give me a math lesson which won't end good for either of us.

So, dyslexia isn't like ADHD or anything like that but it is a struggle just the same and some of the symptoms are the same. Don't treat someone different just because they seem different, you never know what they could be dealing with. Take it from someone who knows, dyslexia isn't the easiest thing to deal with but having people around you who are willing to help you really helps! Always encourage one another because kind words go a long way, especially with someone who is dealing with dyslexia or anything else.