10 Times College Is Screwed Up

10 Times College Is Screwed Up

Get it together, college.

79
10 Times College Is Screwed Up

Freshman year, you thought life would be great. It only took you like the first month to realize that college is designed to weed out the weak. Most of the time, you feel as though you are the only one losing. Don't worry, you aren't alone. Everyone is crying, everyone is sleep deprived, and everyone as calculated how long it will take them to pay off their debt if they drop out and work at Chik-fil-A for the rest of their lives.

1. When your professor acts like their class is your only obligation.

Assigning a paper or group project that is due the following week isn't actually manageable. Aside from this paper, you have two tests, a job, extracurriculars, and you are still trying to keep your sanity.

2. It’s physically impossible to have a job, a social life, good grades and get 8 hours of sleep a night.

There are only 24 hours in a day, take out 8 of those to sleep, and you're left with 16 hours. Subtract around 5 hours a day you spend in class, you are left with 11 hours. Take some time out for homework and extracurriculars, and you have about one hour left to eat or take a shower. But you're still not done with homework so realistically, you sleep about 4 hours a day and pray you don’t fall asleep in class.

3. They say you're an adult, but they take attendance.

This makes absolutely no sense. You are paying your professor to teach you, so why do they need to take attendance? Sometimes it’s less beneficial to listen to a professor ramble about something you can read in the book. Isn't it our choice if we blow the money we pay? So why do you need to grade me on whether or not I go to class? It should be my choice as a responsible adult, not because it's 50% of my grade.

4. No food or drink policies.

Those classrooms that have signs all around saying no food or drinks allowed are the worst. What sucks even more is when your professor follows through. OK I don’t get a lunch break, so would you rather listen to my stomach growl or let me eat this Subway sandwich before your class begins?

5. When the bookstore doesn't take back specialized books.

So I spent $100 on a book that is specific for my University and now you are telling me that you don’t accept it? Not to mention the fact that you are wasting paper by printing new ones the following semester, when the book I opened twice is perfectly fine. But no, I get it. I’ll just keep it, maybe take it to my grave. It will be just fine.

6. It's finals week and all the tables are full.

Someone should have thought this through. If every student is in the library studying, then shouldn’t there be enough tables for us all? I'll just be studying in my car or on the floor.

7. Parking passes.

This is the worst. After I pay tuition and buy my books, I have to cough up another $300 to drive to campus…its fine…clearly, I'm made of money. Now, after I spend this money, you are going to tell me I need to relocate my car every time there's an event. It’s really fine, I don’t mind being late to class because the garage I park in is full. I’m really fine with it, kind of how I am fine with that ticket that will be on my car because I didn’t park in my newly designated place.

8. No healthy food.

On campus, there's a total of two places that serve healthy food. TWO. It's actually as though they are trying to make you gain the "Freshman 15." Now, add in the 2 hours you have to spend at the gym to our day. Seriously.

9. Financial aid.

If your family is near the middle class, you're screwed. The amount of financial aid you will get is like $1. If that’s not bad enough, EVERYONE will criticize you for taking out loans. If that’s not much of a problem, the financial aid office will make you jump into hoops to do so.

10. The best and worst 4 years of your life.

It’s an emotional rollercoaster, that takes 5 years more often than 4. You have never cried so much, but you have also never laughed so much. You are always stressed, but the Friday nights are so much fun. When you graduate, you'll just say, “yep, it was the best four years,” because it’s the only way to describe how crazy it really was.