10 Ways To Prepare For Your First Mud Run

You're going to get muddy and you're going to like it.
73

After completing my first Mud Run a few months ago, I've put together some tips and tricks on how to prepare for one. Mud Runs are an awesome way to get active, have fun, and enjoy time with friends. Its a super great race that usually includes obstacles and other tasks to get you to the finish--whether that may be swimming (yes, swimming!) through a pool of mud, army crawling under tarp, or climbing over a six foot wall. So here are 10 mud-tastic ways to prepare for your next Mud Run!

1. Wear old running shoes.

I can't tell you how important this is--because the shoe you start with will not be the same shoe you finish with. Make sure that you are okay if you're running shoes end up just needing to be thrown in the trash.

2. Have a bag of spare clothes (EVERYTHING!).

Down to the underwear, bring a whole set of extra clothes for the car ride home. You'll need it. Socks, shoes, shirt, sports bra, you name it, bring it.

3. Have two towels per person.

At least! You'll need one to dry off after the usual hose-down or slippin' slide into a pool, and you'll want a couple more towels for the seats of car.

4. Be prepared to be soaking wet.

You might not have the opportunity to get the mud sprayed off in your race--but you still will be soaked and caked in mud. Know that you're clothes will be uncomfortable after the race and you'll want to know how to dry off.

5. Give yourself extra time to get through the course.

These courses are more for fun than for racing--especially with the obstacles. Sometimes lines form and you'll have to wait, and the start of the race is more of a suggestion time than the actual time. You can definitely race your friends, but remember to cherish it all as well.

6. Know the course beforehand.

There might be something you weren't expecting or something you just don't think you can do. Thats okay, but it's nice to see the course beforehand so you know what you are up against. Test your limits and challenge yourself.

7. Don't jump feet first (you will lose a shoe).

The mud pits will eat your shoes and you will never see them again (another reason not to wear nice, new running shoes!). You can lose your shoes one the first jump in, so try to be aware of how much power you are putting into each step, chances are you'll be pulling yourself out more than pushing yourself forward.

8. Cut down on the running outfits.

Don't wear a lot of clothing. The less, the better! I would make sure to wear clothing that will keep you as clean as possible in the personal areas, but also not too much to drag you down in the mud.

9. Get lots of pictures!

That's the whole reason of doing this race right?! You need a good picture for Instagram and what better way to do that than have mud splattered all over your face with you and your friends.

10. Be prepared for a long, hot shower with lots of scrubbing.

When you get home (which you will want to), you need to know that you're going to need a power washer to get all that mud off your body. You'll probably be finding chunks of mud in your fingernails or behind your ears for a few days before it finally all seems to have washed off.

Have fun and get muddy!!