10 Tips For Surviving Shasta

10 Tips For Surviving Shasta

For the veteran or the virgin.

57
10 Tips For Surviving Shasta
cdn.totalfratmove.com

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Shasta. It comes once a year and, like Christmas, it brings joy and good tidings to those who observe it. And every year, Shasta proves the memories are worth all of the little miseries.

So, whether this is your first year going to Shasta or you're a seasoned veteran, be sure to remember these 10 Tips For Having a Successful Shasta Weekend.

1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Although this may seem obvious, this golden rule is often forgotten. Shasta weekend is a marathon, not a roller coaster—you have to pace yourself. So, while the "one glass of water per one alcoholic beverage" rule may be pretty impractical, try to take a pause several times a day throughout the weekend to suck down a water bottle and take a break from the sun and heat.

2. Prepare to live in a bathing suit.

Shasta is no Coachella; the weekend is spent in a combination of swimsuits, shorts, and sweatshirts and the biggest challenge is to keep the clay off of your clothes. So, just prepare to spend the weekend in a bikini and know that, no matter your size, shape, or self-confidence, this is about having a good time and nothing else is important.

3. This is the dirtiest weekend of your life.

Okay, so the one thing no one really prepared me for at my first Shasta was how dirty you get. Like, filthy.

The shore is clay and that tracks everywhere, and eventually the floor of your boat and the shore of the lake look exactly the same. Additionally, for full disclosure, you end up sleeping with clay and sand on your feet, and it ends up in places you didn't think possible.

So remember that, along with all of the muck and the odor and the over-flowing toilets, it's all a part of the experience. Take a few extra minutes every morning to make yourself feel clean—it will make the whole weekend more enjoyable.

4. Bring two of everything... and extra towels.

On the note of getting dirty, bring extra towels.

Bring extra of everything, but really, you should bring extra towels. They will get used by other people, soaking wet, covered in clay, or straight up stolen. So, bring at least two or three extras for the weekend.

The beauty? They also double as a blanket, pillow, or a (pathetic) sleeping pad. Always keep two stashed somewhere so that come Saturday night, you are neither pillow-less nor blanket-less.

5. Bring your own "things."

There are going to be some "things" at Shasta and these may be "things" you've thought about trying before.

Best advice: bring your own.

While it's unlikely you will find someone sketchy enough to bring messed up "things" to the island, play it safe and bring you own. That way, you know that from the time you purchased them until the time you enjoyed them, they haven't changed.

6. Don't expect to be comfortable or well-fed.

You're packed into a boat with 20 or so other people and the music from the other boats doesn't cut out until near 4 a.m. The easiest thing to feed all of these people is burgers and hot dogs, and no, there's no coffee.

So, when it's the dead middle of Saturday and you're less than stoked on the 17th hamburger you're about to eat, remember that this weekend isn't about food, but food helps you experience the weekend. It keeps you going for nearly 20 hours a day, three days in a row.

7. Bring your own booze.

Your boat will have beer and liquor, but it's always a good to bring some back up. One of the key unique things about Shasta is how many people come onto boats during the day and eat and drink the food on that boat. So bring some back-up liquor or a 30-rack of beer and stash it somewhere for that time when you want something different.

And remember, as soon as you share with one person, you end up sharing with everyone else. So be exclusive about who you choose to offer shots to.

8. Be wary of "the woods."

"The woods."

You'll hear this a lot throughout the weekend, a mysterious destination seemingly occupied by couples only. "The woods" are the notorious hook up spot for all sex-minded couples and bump-buddies.

So, as you explore the boats and the island, be wary when you wander into the woods (which is really the name and is really a spot on the island) and know that you will likely see more than one couple getting it on.

9. Be open-minded.

This is important to remember.

This is a weekend where you will be exposed to more things than the precious and protected streets of Corvallis can show you. This is a weekend that tests your limits and your boundaries and your self-control.

Keep and open mind this weekend and be open to meeting new people and trying new things. At the same time, don't compromise your convictions just to fit in. Enjoy the weekend the way you want to and don't give into peer pressure. Simple and easy.

10. Have fun.

This one needs no explanation... but here's one anyway.

10 or 20 years from now, when you're living in a suburb of some town in America, you'll look back on these years and start to remember all the weekends you thought you couldn't remember.

And Shasta will be one of those weekends.