10 Tips That Saved My Life Traveling Overseas

I might only be 18 years old which doesn't sound like I have a lot of experience, but I have been traveling overseas since I was three months old and have managed to pick up a few tips on how to have a successful trip abroad.

60

Long lines, delays, gate changes, and cancellations are just a handful of things that any traveler worries about from the moment they step foot in the airport. Along with the external worries, there is also the internal worries of: "Did I pack my toothbrush?" "Do I have enough socks?" "Oh, crap...where is my charger!?" and of course, "Uh...do I need my passport?" These are at least some of the things that would be going on through my head when I would travel overseas every summer. I am lucky to have a mom who works for an airline so traveling overseas was something that we did often. I have been to Germany countless of times, made a quick (but very turbulent flight) to Amsterdam, and have also been to the Middle East.

Traveling should be fun, not stressful! The most important thing to remember is that traveling is an experience and not something that should be dreaded because of all the things that have to be considered during the journey. With the right essentials, quick access to the necessities, and some music to ignore your snoring neighbor on the flight, you can make the most out of your travels and truly enjoy it.

1. Pack electronics separately.

Youtube

Now, this doesn't have to be a super intricate bag, it could even be as simple as a Ziploc bag you buy at the grocery store, but It is super efficient to have your headphones and chargers all in the same place. It saves the hassle of looking through your backpack or purse that is already going to be too full, or worse they are super tangled and it's going to take you the whole flight untangling them. This is the number one thing that I pack in my backpack and I highly recommend it.

2. Have a reusable water bottle.

This doesn't have to be a $60 Hydroflask, it can be as simple as the ones pictured above that anyone can get at a nearby store (or even some dollar stores). We all know that airport security takes away our water bottles, and sometimes we even have to dump out an unopened water bottle because no one can chug water that fast. Having the reusable kind can give you a lot more freedom and not to mention, it's also very good for the environment. Plus, water at the airport is expensive and there are drinking fountains almost everywhere.

3. Check to see if you need a converter.

If you are traveling to another continent, chances are they have different types of plugs and voltage than America. A converting adapter is a perfect way to "adapt" to any type of voltage and plug. I usually just toss one into the same bag of my electronics and I know I am all set. They really help ease your mind knowing that when your phone dies because of watching movies or playing some fun games, you will be able to charge your phone at the next outlet.

4. Have a set place for your passport/boarding card.

If you follow nothing else I write about, this is the most important and essential thing you need (especially if traveling overseas). With all of the places that are going to be asked for your passport and boarding card, you want to keep it handy. You don't want to be that person in line who everyone angrily glares at for being flustered and not finding their passport. I personally benefit from this because I have a backpack full of stuff on my back and I like knowing my passport will always be within reach. They are very inexpensive and come in a lot of aesthetic designs for all of your cute travel picture desires.

5. Have a separate bag for underwear.

Youtube

We can all agree that it's a little awkward when our bag has to be randomly searched and our colorful array of underwear is just stored in the zippers that the carry-on comes with. For me, that's how I used to store my underwear until finally, my mom introduced me to an underwear bag. It doesn't even have to be fancy. It can be a non-see-through pouch that you can store most of your underwear in. Underwear bags can also hold items such as socks, pantyhose, and any other delicate items that you might need during your trip. Awkward random searches will feel a lot less awkward if there is a secret bag hiding all the private items. Plus, it's a guarantee that you will come back with the same pair of socks and underwear after your trip.

6. Keep some over the counter medication with you.

When traveling to another country that you've never been to before, chances are you won't be used to the weather or the air qualities there. The balance of your body might be thrown off and you can catch a cold. Over the counter medication is a simple way to be prepared and to also prevent yourself from getting a cold. Feeling a little scratch in your throat? Drink some Airborne or Emergen-C. Feeling a little stuffy? Have that nasal spray ready and open up those nostrils. The best way to carry over the counter medication is in a clear plastic bag so you can take it out during security check and not get your bag randomly searched for "suspicious pills."

7. If an airport has a shower, use it!

Youtube

This is not a drill, airports have showers! Maybe not all airports but I can guarantee that if you are traveling overseas, chances are the international airport that you are in has a shower. They are clearly marked with the symbol shown above and are super affordable. Two years ago my mom and I were stuck in Frankfurt Airport in Germany for four nights because our flights back to America were fully booked and we fly standby (meaning our boarding passes do not have seats and we get seats if the flight is empty). We kept on missing our luck and the hotels in the airport were not accepting our visa. Long story short, it was a miserable (yet entertaining) four nights and on the fourth night, my mom spotted a shower.

The shower was absolutely amazing. They provide you with shampoo, conditioner, body wash, towel, and even a blow drier! The shower was also separated from a small common area with a sink, so think of it as a small bathroom in your own home minus the toilet. The wonderful thing was it only costed 5 Euros (about $5.68). It was the best feeling after those four nights of sleeping in the airport to be able to take a full shower.

8. Always pack extra travel clothes.

I know that in a carry-on you are supposed to pack the essential things, however, having another set of traveling clothes is very important. Traveling overseas can be long hours spent on a plane and in an airport. Let's face it, you are going to get sweaty. I know when I am traveling the last thing I want is to be super uncomfortable in my clothes and I learned this the hard way.

I was coming back to America from Amsterdam one year when the plane hit turbulence and my soda went all over my pants. I felt sticky and uncomfortable the whole 10 hours coming home. I had extra socks and underwear, but not extra pants. I learned from that day on that it doesn't hurt to save some room in my carry-on for extra travel clothes.

9. Make a travel playlist.

Photo by: Autriya Maneshni

The best way to enjoy a long flight, in my opinion, is to make a playlist. This is actually my playlist that I use when I am on a plane. I also have one specifically for takeoff and landing. I know it's very extra but trust me, it will make your trip so much more worthwhile. You'll be able to associate the songs with great memories you make along the trip or exactly know what song you were listening to as the plane hit some lovely turbulence and you started thinking about all the shows you watched about planes crashing (just kidding traveling is fun!)

10. Do a little recap of the trip.

I know that actual journals are less common now, but this doesn't have to be in an actual journal, though it's always good to have one. I sometimes even do my recaps in my Notes app on the flight back home. This way, you have it to look back on from time to time if you feel sad or if you really miss the place you traveled to. Make sure to date it and talk about specifics. Write your own inside jokes as you write about your trip so only you can get it later in life and laugh about it. Pictures are awesome, but having something in writing gives it a whole different meaning. This is my favorite thing to do after my trips and it's a great way to wind down from the long journey.

Well, these are all tips to make your long trip feel a little less long. I think that one of the best things a person can do is travel. Even if it's not overseas (because that can be a tad expensive), traveling can give someone a whole new perspective and set of experiences. I owe a lot to my travels because I've seen parts of the world that are completely different from where I live and it has really helped me understand the world better.

I sometimes even enjoy the travel part better than being at the destination. I think that traveling really brings out the best in people because there is always that shared excitement of going to a new place (or even old place).

So if you are heading on a long 20-hour journey or maybe a 20 minute one, I hope my little tips helped and happy traveling!