10 Times Our Expectations Messed Us Up

10 Times Our Expectations Messed Us Up

I'm sorry I'm disappointed.

11
10 Times Our Expectations Messed Us Up
Ashley DeBoer

The reason we become disappointed and dissatisfied with certain facets of life is because of our expectations, no matter how realistic they may seem to us. We have a picture in our heads about how someone is suppose to be and how somethings are suppose to play out, but most of the time, we are sadly mistaken (sometimes, it shocks you by being better, but let’s be honest, that’s rare). So here are 10 times when we had expectations and our realities didn’t quite match up.

1. “Omg, the outfit I am going to wear tonight is SO cute!”

After digging through your closet for that killer jumpsuit from freshman year, it hugs all the wrong places and feels three sizes too small. It is so NOT cute and you now need a back-up plan 30 minutes before go-time.

2. “We text all the time, and he is going to be great. I can’t wait to meet him.”

Five minutes in, you’re thanking God you didn’t let him pick you up, like he wanted. Tinder date gone wrong, should I say more?

3. “I can still go out. I just have to be home by 11 to finish my paper that is due at midnight.”

That hour to finish up that paper, homework assignment, quiz felt more like two minutes, and you were so not ready to hit submit a minute before the clock struck 12. That balancing act is starting to tumble.

4. “If Emma Stone can dye her hair any color, so can I.”

"New hair, new me" works sometimes, but some things, like your beautiful hair, should be maintained and appreciated. A stressful break up or failed class does not mean you should change your hair color from blonde to red to blue to black. By college, I think we know what hair color looks best on us, but by all means, do whatever makes you happy.

5. “I watched this make-up tutorial on Youtube, I’m like a pro now.”

Makeup is an art, a skill, and it takes time to perfect it. After feeling confident in your ability to shape the eyebrows or contour after one video, the mirror might not exactly agree in your mastery.

6. “I can totally be friends with the girl who likes the same guy as me.”

Women empowerment is great and necessary, but trust me when I say, avoid girls who want to be your friend just because you share a guy in common. They don’t want to be your “friend.” This friendship was doomed from the start.

7. “My professor won’t grade it too hard. He’s been lenient all semester.”

That’s right when the 95% turns into a 78% from one failed project, exam, paper. College has taught me to never expect certain behavior from a professor because the moment we think we know how they’ll react, it all changes.

8. “I have a pretty good singing voice.”

Maybe in the shower, maybe ALONE in the car, our singing skills seem to be decent, but the minute everyone gets in the car and starts to jam out, we realize that we sound more tone-deaf than anything. Life’s about having a good time, so who cares anyways! Your friends' jokes about your singing makes you cringe a little still.

9. “No, I’m not going to Applebee’s tonight. I have leftovers at home.”

Then you open the fridge, check in every nook and cranny, but your food is nowhere to be found. Who is the culprit? My brother? My dad? My mom? Expecting leftover pasta and realizing it has been eaten already is heartbreaking.

10. “He’s different.”

The infamous line, we all know way too well. We start to let down our walls and be bare to him, only to find out that you were completely wrong. You expected things to work out, to make you happier than you’ve been, but it isn’t his responsibility to live up to your expectations. Sometimes, we get fooled and that’s okay too. There’s more fish in the sea.

The only expectations you should have are for yourself.

Expect yourself to be the best version of yourself, to work hard in school, to be a good friend, to have a loving heart, and to always choose what you believe is right. Expectations disappoint us when we have them for things we can’t control, so focus on having expectations for things we are in charge of.