10 Thoughts When Getting Back In Shape

10 Thoughts When Getting Back In Shape

"I've totally got this, it's only been like, three months!"

5
10 Thoughts When Getting Back In Shape
giphy.com

With the official start to summer right around the corner, it's time to start panicking about the coveted "beach body." Of course, not working out all year has gotten you to this point of defeat, but it's never too late to get back in shape...right? Right. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but you're not alone.

1. "I can totally do this, it's only been, like, how many weeks?

Go in with a plan, and you'll totally stick to it! After all, it's not like this is your first time ever at a gym. How bad could it possibly be?

2. "Why did I ever stop working out, I bet if I kept it up, I wouldn't even have to be here right now!"

You curse yourself for taking that one day off three months ago and then never going back until now. Everything would be so much easier if you just kept going.

3. "That person is lifting a lot of weight, should I be lifting that much?"

You don't want to look weak in front of everyone--that's so embarrassing. Also, you're positive that you're more in shape than that person so you can totally handle it!

4. "Oh no, I definitely cannot lift this much weight. Abort Mission!"

*Casually tries to make it through one set before returning the weights to the rack and backing away slowly* In due time, you can lift those weights. Not today, my friend.

5. "How the hell does this machine even work?"

When you go back to the gym for the first time in a while, everything sort of looks like some strange torture device (which it honestly is). If you're really sneaky about it, you can just watch someone use the machine from afar and copy them.

6. "WHY DOES EVERYONE MAKE THIS LOOK SO EASY!!!!"

This is not easy! It usually leaves you wondering how that old lady just did twice the amount of weight as you without even breaking a sweat. Seriously, is she a robot? Maybe just stick to cardio today...

7. "I've been doing cardio for at least 25 minutes now, right? How much are you even supposed to do? I guess I'm almost done."

It's been eight minutes. You're panting and sweating more than ever before, like in places you didn't even know could sweat. That "45 minutes on the elliptical" goal you set for yourself is shrinking rapidly. Fifteen minutes is enough, thank you very much

8. "Time for abs, I'll just do a couple sets and then I can finally go home!"

Easier said than done. The first few exercises aren't too bad but then it all goes downhill fast and you just end up lying there on the mat in self-pity. How do people do this everyday, seriously?!

9. "It's my first day back, I shouldn't go too hard!"

You don't want to hurt a muscle the first day and not be able to work out for a while. You should probably just stop now before you do. Anyway you've been here for an hour (even though you only spent half that time actually working out)

10. "Where's the nearest Fro-yo place?"

You worked really hard today, you deserve a treat. Besides, frozen yogurt is healthy!

Trust me, getting back in to shape is one of the worst parts of summer. It seems like no matter what you do nothing changes and you just want to give up. But the results are worth it in the end. Just remember if you get back in shape now, you won't have to go through this again later on!