10 things you should know before moving to Orlando, Florida

Orlando

17

.

So you found the perfect home in Orlando, Florida. Now it’s time to move. If you are wondering what to expect, you are not alone. Orlando, Florida has seen one of the hottest housing markets over the past several years and a population growth that shows no sign of slowing down. Here are 10 things to know before you move to Orlando, Florida.

Home prices are still rising

Over the past couple of years, Orlando has seen home price growth of 21.5%. Home values have risen by more than 10% and are continuing to rise, making Orlando a beneficial investment in both the long-term and short-term.

Tourism is huge

Orlando is known as Central Florida’s crown jewel of tourism and commerce. Orlando is best known for Disney World and Universal Studios. With the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and Legoland right down the road, tourists are always within sight, especially during the summer. However, when spring break is over and the summer is done, locals can get discount tickets and spend a lot less time waiting in lines.

Prepare for the weather

Orlando’s weather is a huge draw for many home buyers. With a humid subtropical climate, Orlando is known for its mild winters but very hot and sunny summers. Orlando has an annual rainy period the months of June through September when spotty thunderstorms pop up out of nowhere. But these pass quickly and leave behind bright sunny skies.

There is always something to do

Besides Disney World and Universal Studios, Orlando is also home to outlet malls, restaurants, science centers, and comedy clubs. In addition residents have access to bout tours, water parks, and one of a kind museums.

It has a natural side too

Yes, Orlando is a city, but that doesn’t mean it is lacking in natural beauty. Orlando has several parks, lakes, nature trails, and preservers. Residents of Orlando will have plenty of access to hiking, fishing, kayaking, and bird watching.

Employment is not an issue

Some of the largest companies in the world have roots in Orlando, Florida. NBC Universal, Amazon, AAA, and JetBlue in addition to Disney World. Higher paying jobs can be found in many of the technology and medical centers that call Orlando home. While employment will be based on education and personality, there is a job for nearly everyone in Orlando.

Cost of living

Living in the Orlando city area is a plus not just because of the fantastic lifestyle, but because of the cost of living. Orlando’s cost of living is 2% lower than the national average. In addition, Florida has no state income tax, inheritance tax, and real estate tax.

Sports are everywhere

If you are a fan of sports, you will without a doubt find a team to follow in Orlando. Basketball, baseball, football, soccer, and hockey all have a home in Florida. The Orlando Magic pro basketball team plays right in downtown Orlando at the Amway Stadium as does the Orlando Solar Bears ice hockey team.

Traffic may be a problem

Like many other cities around the world, Orlando road systems can be extremely congested. Interstate 4 which runs from Daytona to Tampa is generally a driver’s worst nightmare where it cuts through Orlando. You can always rely on the few public transportation options which include a bus system with free rides to downtown Orlando and the SunRail, a diesel-electric commuter train.

Green energy is growing

If you are interested in adding green technology to your new home, you’re in luck; Florida has many green energy startups and technology incentives for businesses and homeowners. The city has green-retrofitted hundreds of houses and even turned the Amway Center into the country’s first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certified NBA arena.

Moving to Orlando, Florida can be an adjustment. Talk to a top rated Orlando, Florida real estate agent who can help you get acclimated to your new surroundings. Once you are settled in you will without a doubt find plenty of local attractions and activities to make Orlando your new home.