10 Things You Must Do Your First Semester In College

Not sure how to manage your first semester at undergrad? Here are 10 things you MUST DO when you get to college.

101
University of Southern California

As my first semester of college is coming to an end, I made time to reflect on my fondest memories at USC. Here is a complied list of the top 10 things you must do your first semester at college!

1. Establish Rules with Your Roommate

Avoid those awkward moments of "Oh, I thought you were going to do it" by setting guidelines on chores, room conditions, preferences, etc. I cannot stress this enough, be sure to have open conversations with your roommate to ensure your semester goes smoothly. Don't be afraid to voice your concerns, after all the two of you will be living together for the rest of the year.

2. Go to a Frat Party

You will soon realize that frat parties are mostly filled with freshmen and sophomores. Be sure to go to them when you're an underclassmen to get it out of your system. Once you enter junior and senior year, most students feel the need to buckle down and land jobs or internships so they won't have time or energy to party like they used to. Go to frat parties while you can and have the time.

3. Tailgate

Game days are on a different level. Even if you aren't an alum or apart of a club that hosts tailgates, most tents are willing to let you in and give you free food and drinks. So sport your college gear and have fun!

4. Office Hours

Challenge yourself to attend at least one office hour appointment with your professors. Depending on the school, if you plan to study aboard, apply for scholarships or jobs, you will need a letter of recommendation from a professor. Start early and build a relationship with your professors now! This also comes in handy when you're nearing the end of your quarter or semester and need that extra boost to bump you from an "A-" to an "A"

5. Go Off Campus

If you are a first-year student, your school or residential department might offer free activities that bring students off campus to explore. While you may be still adjusting to college life and overwhelmed with school activities, make time to venture off campus.

6. Attend a Sports Game

Nothing brings students together like a football game. If your school doesn't have a football team, don't worry, you can root for the Trojans! You can also attend your school's basketball games, volleyball games or whichever sport you prefer.

7. Make Friends with Upperclassmen

Upperclassmen are your key to knowing insider tips on which classes to take, professors to avoid, restaurants to eat at, etc. If they have a car, they can also take you off campus. Most clubs or frats/sororities have a "big little" program that pairs underclassmen with an upperclassmen mentor

8. Rush a Sorority or a Fraternity

This leads me to my next point. Even if you never saw yourself in a sorority or frat, you'll never know for sure unless you try. Some people rush and realize they absolutely love it and for some people, it confirmed that greek life is not for them. You don't lose out on anything except for time, but you're a freshman so you have lots of it.

9. Join a Club or Student Org

This is a must-do. I suggest being involved with 2-3 student organization that you are interested in. Branch out and try out for a club like breakdancing or a club that doesn't relate to your major. After all, this is how you realize what you are good at and what you are passionate about.

10. Enjoy Your Time

Lastly, time truly does fly. You don't realize the value of a moment until it becomes a memory. So make friends, talk to the cute guy in your English class, and pull an all-nighter for that one assignment.