10 Things We Experienced In The 2010s

10 Things We Experienced In The 2010s

With the final year of the decade wrapping up, everyones discussing what we will miss the most about the past 10 years.

48
10 Things We Experienced In The 2010s
Photo by Crazy nana on Unsplash

1. An odd mixture of popular music genres

\u200bPhoto by Mohammad Metri on Unsplash

From Lady Gaga to Hozier, we've had a lot of different popular music artists. Many of them have also changed their genre over the course of 10 years, and it's hard to keep up. What is Taylor Swift's style even called? Anyone?

2. Silly Bandz

We all remember the definitive smell of rubber from having approximately 87 animal shaped rubber bands rubbing all the hair off our arms. The more you had, the more popular you were. What were we thinking?

3. Stranger Things

Photo by Shamia Casiano from Pexels

Stranger things honestly blew up so fast, but we aren't complaining. I didn't even grow up in the 70s and 80s, yet I get nostalgia every time I watch it. Season 4 can't come soon enough.

4. Polar Express p.j. days

The Polar Express came out in 2004, so most of us who were still kids around that time got to enjoy having hot chocolate in our p.js. at school while watching this iconic cinematic masterpiece. Now I just go to class in p.js. everyday.

5. Instant streaming

Photo by freestocks.org from Pexels

Netflix took the world by storm. Is there much else to say? I mean you can watch essentially anything you want without worrying with DVDs or even worse-VHS tapes.

6. Instagram

Instagram is by far one of the biggest social media platforms today. It's how we keep up with each other, get to know people better, and share our favorite memories. Before 2010, we had Facebook. That's about it. Who knew a sharing a picture with a simple caption would get so big?

7. Challenges

Does anyone else remember how dumb these were? I mean, we were burning ourselves with salt and ice and eating entire bottles of cinnamon. Where did challenges come from? Who started this? How do we make it stop?

8. The rise of the "aesthetic"

Photo by Kaique Rocha from Pexels

At the beginning of the decade, we started defining our image with peace signs and mustaches. Now we're VSCOing it up with scrunchies and tie dye shirts. And it's all for the aesthetic. Pick any person you want to and scroll through their Instagram feed and tell me you can't catch a dominant theme within their photos. It's just what we do now.

9. Vine

R.I.P to Vine. We loved it, we hated it, but in the end we still miss it. Tik Tok is great, but it just isn't the same. This social media platform completely shaped my middle school years, and I'm pretty sure it did almost everyone else's too.

On a separate note, what was Musical.ly meant to do? No one liked that.

10. The end of many of our childhoods

Photo by Anthony from Pexels

Seriously though, if you grew up in the 2010s your childhood is essentially over. Many of us are in college or working now. I know people getting married and people that have kids. I guess you could say if you're reading this, you made it.

Goodbye 2010s. We will miss you, but only for a little while. You taught us a lot, and now it's time to grow up. We loved you. Hello Roaring 20s!