10 Things WAY Out Of State Students Will Experience

With some advice to help you through it.

25
Marissa Domantay

While helping first years move into their dorms this year, I started reflecting on my first year experience. I am FAR away from home, Chicago to Connecticut to be exact. The fact that I am currently attending a college in the East Coast makes my college experience different than others.

So, if you're a good 8+ hours away from home in the US, you can relate to this list, it is for those who will have a similar experience to mine-- Enjoy!

1. "Wow! You're So Far From Home!" Is Way Too Common

When you tell friends/family members where you are going for college, the instant response usually follows by comments about the distance from home. Statements such as "I bet you miss home!" or "Why are you so far?" usually follows.

All the answers to those questions are usually responded by a nod and a smile. Of course, I know I'm far away, and yes I miss it too.

2. Explaining Where Your College Is To People Back Home Is Almost Impossible

Being WAY out of state means that your friends/family won't know where you study at. Even though I go to a college called "Connecticut College," people still ask me if it's in Connecticut.

Usually, after clarifying and pointing out where your college is, questions usually follow such as "What is over there?" or "Isn't it empty over there?" which brings out a different kind of problem.

3. Empty Campus On Campus Breaks

On short breaks such as Thanksgiving and Fall break, you might not have enough to go home. Plane/Train/Bus tickets are quite expensive and might not be in your budget for every break. So, you're usually faced with the dilemma of all your friends and classmates who live nearby go home, and you're stuck with an empty campus.

But, I taught myself not to see this as a bad thing. Your roommate(s) will likely go home, so you have the dorm to yourself. Also, you have way cleaner bathrooms and more quiet time.

4. No Parents On Parent Weekend

I don't know about other colleges, but mine has a weekend for parents for students currently attending the college. During my first year, I was not aware of this until my friends were getting excited to show their parents their campus on parent weekend.

I begrudgingly rolled my eyes and joked how my stuffed animals were my parents since it'd be impossible for mine to ever come. During parent's weekend, I just stay indoors, enjoy watching Doctor Who and sometimes ponder on if they would even come to my graduation.

5. Not Knowing Locations In Your College's Area

You're going to befriend people who know the area better than yourself. They'll probably talk about places around your area with other people who live close by. Sometimes, even those friends will look at you, expecting for you to know what place they're talking about.

Yet, all you do is shrug and repeat, "I'm not from here" constantly. However, to be fair, you talk about your region to them and make them feel equally clueless so you can't even be mad.

6. Regional Snack Differences Is A Thing

You thought locations were the only difference? Nope! There are snacks you thought were everywhere but actually not, especially cultural snacks.

I am Filipino, and I have never been so deprived of my cultural snacks such as dried mango and pastillas. So, ask your parents ASAP to send you snacks, so you can stuff your face with them later.

7. Common Norms And Slang

Okay, this is the last thing on regional differences (which is probably the main problem people from out of state face, honestly). However, the small things will soon get to you. When you do something that's part of your region/culture or say something from said region/culture. People are going to lift brows.

Best thing to do is ignore it but also explain if you're not too annoyed and the person asking is genuinely not being rude.

8. Social Media Bums You Out

Just because you're far away, doesn't mean that your old high school friends aren't. You're going to go on Snapchat and Facebook and see photos of your hometown from those friends.

You'll get homesick, especially on breaks where you can't get home. The best advice I can give you is to just don't go on social media around those times.

9. Not Being Able To Go To Hometown Events

Being far away means that you're not going to be able to go to all the cool events that happen in your hometowns. Things such as weddings, conventions, and meet-ups aren't going to be things anymore since it's probably out of your budget.

You can just live through your friends that went....maybe.

10. You Are A Travel And Packing Expert

Going far away from home usually means getting used to travel. Most of us don't have cars to pack our things in to go home, so we have to learn how to pack our life into one carry on luggage.

Best advice is to only pack the essentials and send away things you want to bring home and leave it there.

Even though it's a chore, getting home is the best thing ever.