I've been on campus about a month now. Despite having traveled often with my high school, this is the longest I've been away from home. That being said, I have been looking forward to going home for Columbus Day for quite some time now. What I noticed is that the things I miss the most about home are the things I always took for granted. Maybe some of you have noticed the same things!

Showering without flip flops

I never realized how annoying it is to shower with flip flops on. Not only that, but after I shower, I track water EVERYWHERE. Not only that, but my

flip flops take forever to dry, so they've started to smell really bad.

Fridge space

I always complained that my fridge at home didn't have enough room in it. I CLEARLY had no idea what I was talking about. Now I'm lucky if I can fit my leftovers from dinner and a can of Mountain Dew in my dorm fridge. True, I could use the communal fridge in my dorm's basement. But, according to my calculations, there would only be a .0001% chance of my food not being stolen.

Wi-fi that consistently works

Ok, I admit, this one is kind of a stretch. Although my wi-fi at home went down a few times a year, at least I would get consistent connection in my bedroom. They say they're working on fixing the wi-fi on campus, but I think we all know how that will turn out...

A microwave that I know how to use

I genuinely do not understand how the microwaves here are calibrated. If I try to make popcorn and set the timer for two minutes, I get a bag of kernels. On the other hand, if I set it to cook for two minutes and ten seconds, I accidentally set the entire microwave on fire. Considering that the fire department already hates my dorm, I can't win.

Pets

My mom is a professional dog walker, so I'm completely used to being around strange dogs who I have never met. However, right now I'm lucky if

I see one random dog from afar. So, as much as I hate to admit it, I've missed my annoying, slobbery and low IQ'ed dogs.

My bed

What's that bruise Sean? Do you have a hickie? Nope, I just fell out of my bed again... because they constructed the beds with elves in mind and not human beings.

REAL coffee

Saint Anselm College is famous for its food, and trust me it's great. BUT why the heck is our coffee made from syrup and not coffee beans? Furthermore, I don't have a car, so Dunkin' Donuts is a luxury I don't have access to. You can bet that the first thing I did when I got home was get a real cup of coffee... or twelve.

Real Pizza

My hometown of Marshfield is known for pizza. Off the top of my head, I can say that there are at least 9 pizza places within 5 miles of my house. Might I note, all the pizza places are homemade and not chain pizza. However, at college, everyone eats Dominos. So after I get my cup of coffee, I think a slice of pizza is in order.

Laundry service

Yeah, this one is the most petty. My mom hates when people mess with her laundry system at home. So now, because I wasn't ever allowed to do laundry at home, I have no clue what I'm doing. On top of that, you have to complete for a laundry machine in my dorm, and if you're even 5 minutes late, someone will move your clothes for you. So, that being said, it will be nice to not have to worry about anyone stealing my clothes.

Car Access

Like I said, I don't have a car on campus, so my mobility is fairly limited. Sure, I don't drive a fancy sports car, but I do love my 2004 Ford Explorer. One

of the things I miss the most about home is driving past the beach with the windows rolled down and my friends screaming along to our favorite songs. I can't wait to be able to go pick up my friends at their houses and force them to hang out with me.

Overall, the first month of college has taught me a lot; how to be independent, how to do my own laundry and most importantly not to take my life at home for granted. That being said, I can't wait to come home and relax with my loved ones. Now if you'll excuse me, I promised to take my little brother to our local pumpkin patch and to make his Christmas wish list this weekend. Bliss.