10 Things To Do In Milwaukee When You're A Broke College Student

Whether it's winter or summer, I got you covered.

1655

Milwaukee is the biggest city in Wisconsin so it offers many things to do. When you're a broke college student like me, some fun stuff may not be in reach, but there is still PLENTY of stuff to do in Cream City during all the seasons...that you can afford!

1. Visit Bradford Beach

Bradford is one of my favorite places to be in the summer and it costs absolutely nothing to go! If you attend UWM, you can take the Milwaukee County transit system with your bus card and get down there in no time. It's about a five minute drive from campus. Whether you want to lay in the sand and soak up some sun or get a group together to play some volleyball or grab a burger at Northpoint Custard, you'll always have a great time down at Bradford.

2. Go To A Milwaukee Bucks Game

The Bucks are Wisconsin's NBA team and their arena is located downtown Milwaukee! Tickets to Bucks games can get pretty pricey but fortunately they offer student discounts. If you sign up for the Bucks "student rush," you will get text messages the day of home games for tickets that cost $10 and under. Get a couple of friends and watch Giannis dominate on the court!

3. Visit The Milwaukee County Zoo

The zoo in Milwaukee surely is a place to visit at any age. You can spend hours there without getting bored. To get there from UWM, simply hop on the Gold Line bus and take it all the way to the zoo, there actually happens to be a bus stop right across the street from it!

4. Attend Cedarburg's Winter Festival

There is still plenty of things to do in Milwaukee during the winter months. This is Wisconsin after all. Cedarburg's Winter Festival is taking place this season February 17th and 18th of 2018. The Winter Festival offers an ice carving contest, a parade, a pancake breakfast and many other fun winter activities. If you want to look more into it, visit http://www.cedarburgfestival.org/winter-festival to check out some more activities.

5. Explore the Third Ward

The Third Ward is one of my favorite places here in Milwaukee. It offers many good restaurants and scenic views. My favorite place down in the Third Ward is Purple Door Ice Cream, they have so many unique flavors that you can try and it's pretty cheap. Take a day off and take a stroll down there.

6. Visit The Swing Park

What in the heck is a swing park? Well, the swing park is exactly what you think it is, a park underneath a bridge that is filled with swings. The park is located on N Water St right off of E Brady St. It's a great place to go to when you want to let your inner child out.

7. Do The Polar Plunge

If you're looking to do something pretty crazy this winter do the Polar Plunge. The Polar Plunge Milwaukee is always hosted on New Year's Day down at Bradford Beach. It's free for everyone and requires no registration.

8. Tailgate at Miller Park

Brewer's games are always a great time, and to make it even better, tailgate before the game! At the beginning of the fall semester at UWM, UWM offers a free Brewer's game to students. Bring a mini grill, some yard games and a whole bunch of friends to cheer on your Brew Crew this summer!

9. Cruise Downtown To Look At The Holiday Lights

Milwaukee's downtown is a true beauty, especially during the holiday season. Wherever you turn, there is most likely a park or a building that is decorated with holiday lights and decorations. Grab a date and head downtown to get into the holiday spirit!

10. Attend Summerfest or Pantherfest!

Summerfest is definitely one of Milwaukee's most famous events that people all over the country come to. It's actually the largest music festival in the world. There is always someone you know that is playing at the festival. Pantherfest is like UWM's own little Summerfest. It's free for all UWM students! Pantherfest has all types of activities throughout the day and then a concert at night.