10 Things I Learned When I Ran a Half Marathon

13.1 Miles is a long way

81
Tumblr

Okay, let me make something perfectly clear, I'm not exactly a "runner." I mean, yeah, I've played plenty of soccer and spent a majority of my life on some kind of sports team, but I'm not a runner. I'm all about the 3 mile loop around the neighborhood once a week (ahem, more like once a month) anything beyond that is just pushing it. With this attitude, it's no wonder that my friends and family were shocked at my decision to tackle the dreaded 13.1 miles of a half marathon. And guess what? I actually enjoyed myself, well, when the race was complete.

1. The Porta Potties are ALWAYS a No.

Unless you've experimented with the free energy gels (another no) and are feeling that uncomfortable stomach clench. This is the only time it's acceptable. Not only are the lines super long, but who really wants to share that kind of space with hundreds of other sweaty, stomach cramp-y runners?)

2. Playlists Are Everything

A well put together running playlist will save you when you feel like you cannot go on any further. It's important to never underestimate a well timed verse of Kanye's "Stronger." It will get you up that hill.

3. It's Okay to Walk

Really. Even the most conditioned of runners plan for walk breaks. In my case, they may have been more often than not.

4. Expect the Unexpected

Halfway down the mountain I had a terrible nosebleed, and nothing to help me with that issue. Thankfully, a kind passerby whipped out a handful of Kleenex and donated them to my cause.

5. Socks are really important

I thought my "athletic" Nike socks would be sufficient enough to get me through the race. Boy, was I mistaken. Something about the race day vibes, the dust in the air, and the incline of the road left me with HORRIBLE blisters. I really wish I had sprung for that expensive pair of socks the store clerk had suggested. What's a battle without a scar though, right?

6. Because it's "free" doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Like most runners, I had come equipped with a variety of energy gels that I had tested out prior (energy gels are usually pretty rough on stomachs). Unfortunately for me, I love a good deal and couldn't resist trying the free race-provided energy gels instead. I have never been so sick in my entire life (see lesson #1).

7. A Memo Would Have Been Nice

In virtually every run prior to race day I had been wearing leggings or something similar. I decided to "switch things up" for race day and go with some shorts instead. Can you say, thigh rub? I wish someone had drilled it into my head to stick with what you're used to on race day (see lesson #5). It would have saved me a whole lot of discomfort.

8. It's Always More Than a Mile To the Finish.

Always. Completely disregard the signs that promise you you're only a mile away from sweet relief. Seriously. Don't even bother getting excited. You've got at least 1.75 miles to go. The passerby who are telling you that you're "almost there" are also lying.

9. Don't Expect to Take a Great Photo

I was super excited to learn that they'd be photographing runners along the race course. Like this was it, my opportunity to get a Nike level sports action shot. I was planning on looking hot. Of course, when I looked up the photos weeks later I was so disgusted by my photos that I swore I'd never show anyone. (The photo below is NOT me. Really, I wasn't kidding when I said no one would EVER see it.)

10. You Might Freeze to Death

Forget the fact that it's the middle of August, you will freeze to death at the starting line if you don't come prepared. I obviously wasn't prepared and spent an hour fighting for a spot around the fire.

Despite all of my discomfort and lessons learned, running a half marathon was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys being totally miserable. Fortunately, the satisfaction at the end is worth every second of misery.