10 Things I Learned During My First Semester At Ohio University

What do you mean a latte is $4.00?!

Ohio University
28

My first semester of college was a tough one. From dealing with roommate drama to my first time doing laundry away from home, I learned a lot about myself and the world. So as a comedic way to end the semester, here are 10 things I learned my first semester at OU.

1. Coffee is more expensive than you think.

What do you mean a vanilla latte is $4.00?! Being in college with no job and lots of debt means that I've learned to drink coffee the cheapest way I can -- black. Turns out, I actually like black coffee with some vanilla syrup better than a latte!

2. Managing time is a skill to learn fast.

I learned how to get ready and be in class on time after waking up 15 minutes before class, and the willpower to study and do my homework between classes instead of taking a nap. College is about managing time between studying, going out and taking care of yourself. (Sleep is important too!)

3. Not everyone has your best interests in mind.

Those friends you met the first week and went out with all the time might not be there for you when you fail your first test or if you get into trouble. Sometimes people just aren't your true friends.

4. Luckily, you will find your friends who will stick by your side.

There were ups and downs, but I found my best friends this semester. Having great friends makes college and living on your own for the first time a lot easier.

5. Studying is something you actually have to do.

I got by with the bare minimum in high school, and I barely ever studied. When everyone tells you that you have to study, they aren't being dramatic. Doing your homework and studying is mandatory!

6. Walking up Jeff or Morton Hill is unavoidable.

If you go to OU, you probably live in the dorms at the bottom of Jeff or Morton Hill, and you probably have class at the top of these hills. I have spent the entire semester trying to figure out how to get to class without walking up these hills, and there is no way. Unless you live on College or West Green, these hills are a daily part of your life.

7. You can have too much coffee.

In high school I had a latte once every few days. When I got to college, coffee was everywhere, and I was up to four cups a day. Coffee shakes are a real thing, and productivity is hard to come by when you're high on caffiene. Sometimes a glass of water is neccessary.

8. Eating healthy is important.

The dining halls at OU have a lot of healthy options, so take adavantage of them! I always feel better when I have a dinner full of vegetables than another helping of curly fries. Take care of your body, and it will take care of you.

9. Being the first to say hi is not a bad thing.

Especially on the first day, no one knows anyone, and no one is going to bite! You make a lot more friends by introducing yourself and starting a conversation.

10. Staying in your dorm too much can be toxic.

Go out and explore! OU is a beautiful campus and there's so much going on. From finding a new favorite study place to seeing all the beautiful scenery that Athens has to offer, you'll miss out on a lot by staying in your dorm.