10 Things I've Learned By Having A Younger Brother

When I left for college, I realized how much having him in my life has made me a better person because I learned from him.

241
Amber Rose Dwyer

As an older sister, I have always looked out for my little brother whether I realized it or not. Over this summer, I went on a road trip with my brother and some friends and got to know my brother in different contexts.

1. Always thinking about what their best interests would be and how you can help them.

I will never stop telling him what you think is best for him or how he should do something... in hopes that he will eventually listen.

2. It makes you much more observant.

Not to say he's watching your every move, but you have definitely seen each other at your best, most likely at your worst and a bunch of other stages in between. This has made me much more attentive to understanding how the people I surround myself with act.

3. You always have someone to teach new things to and they might have something to teach you too!

My brother has spent countless hours helping me with different math and science classes and I help him with writing and art! It has become really fun to learn from your own personal tutor!

4. They remember almost everything you say and do… so be careful… you never know if they’re going to rat you out or just keep it in to use as blackmail later on.

For better or for worse, your brother knows how to get under your skin and make you crazy, so be careful what you say... it might come back to bite you!

5. You can deal with and see through other peoples BS much easier because of all of the nonsensical drama you’ve had to deal with.

For me, I have learned how to love the sarcasm and serious teenage 'tude and deal with it.

6. They trust you most of the time…except the time when you dressed them up in ridiculous outfits because they were always there to play with and experience new adventures with.

Let's be real, your little sib is definitely lucky to have someone older to help them with new wardrobe changes and if an outfit looks funky to let them know. Whether we are jumping into the ice cold water for the New Years Polar Bear Plunge on Coney Island, hiking up mountains in Glacier National Park or shopping at a thrift store, we always have great laughs and an awesome time spent together.

7. You will always be the most pokeable and easiest person for him annoy.

Let's face it, you're obviously the best human pillow there is... its just too tempting to not annoy your big sibs.

8. He’s looking out for you and looks up to you even if you don’t think he is.

You would be surprised how much he really knows you when you're having a hard time and how he can change your entire mood by just being him.

9. Sharing is caring… well, most of the time.

C'mon, if there's only one piece of pie left, are you really going to share it with him? Of course, you are. In all seriousness, it is now my natural instinct to share what I have with him.

10. Lastly, you’ve learned to love unconditionally, even though they can be the biggest pain in the butt.

And let's be real, they know that too.

Shout out to my lil bro @charlie.robinsonn love you lots kid!