10 Things To Help You Start/Maintain A Healthy Lifestyle

Anybody can do it.

255
Photo by Scott Webb

So you've decided that you wanted to live a healthier lifestyle. Awesome! Whether you're aiming to lose weight for the sake of your health or confidence, or just simply be more active and eat healthier, you've come to the right place. Here are 10 things to take on if you're unsure how to start your healthy journey.

Sign up at your local gym

Signing up at a local gym is the first step into your fitness journey. If you can't afford a gym, that's A okay! You can buy a set of light dumbbells, a resistance band, etc to start off. Even a walk or a run around your neighborhood is good to get you started.

Download a magical app

By magical app, I mean the best fitness app I have ever downloaded in my experience of getting started on my fitness journey. That is, myfitnesspal. You can download it for free on the app store and you can track how much food and water you consume, how many steps and how much exercise you're getting through the day. I'll stop talking and let you experience it on your own.

Follow fitness gurus on social media

I found that by following fitness gurus on Youtube, Instagram, etc has helped me stay on top of my goals. Not only do I stay motivated, but I also learn from what they have experienced!

Set up a cheat day

This might be the most fun part! Setting up a cheat day helps you to lose weight. By setting up a cheat day, you're more likely to not only indulge in the foods you love but it avoids you reaching a plateau. I personally chose Monday to be my cheat day because one, I need to lighten up my start of the week so what better way to do it? And two, Mondays are my rest days from the gym so I like to be both resting and having a slice of pizza!

Buy yourself some cute workout clothes

This will help you stay motivated and you won't use the excuse, "I don't have anything to wear." Well now you do, now get your behind to work out!

Replace certain bad foods with healthier options

One of the first steps into my healthy journey was replacing regular milk with a plant based milk. I started to explore different options until I found what I like. I also replaced regular potatoes for sweet potatoes, sugary cereals for oatmeal. Give it a try!

Remind yourself why you're doing it

It's easy to lose sight of your goals, but you can find little ways to remind you to stay on track. Take progress photos or start a fitness board on Pinterest. Count on a friend or family member to help you remind you when to get yourself together. These little things can go a long way.

Chug that H20

I personally try to drink at least 100 oz of water a day. If that's too much for you, weigh yourself and take half of your weight and drink that in ounces of water.

Reward yourself

Whether you complete all of your workouts or stay consistent in your eating habits, rewarding yourself is a great motivation. Maybe buy yourself a new gym shirt, do your nails, have a glass of wine. You deserve it!

Don't be so hard on yourself

If you don't have a strenuous workout like you planned or maybe you cheated on the day you weren't supposed to, that's alright! The world isn't going to end. Remember you are doing this for you, not for anybody else. The important thing is to do better next time and move on from it.