10 Things Every Anemic Understands

10 Things Every Anemic Understands On A Spiritual Level

Girl, take your iron pill.

253

Anemia happens when your body doesn't produce enough red blood cells. When your body doesn't produce enough red blood cells you experience a slow oxygen flow to all of your organs. Anemia has many symptoms and unfortunately, all of them can give you an uncomfortable feeling that other people without anemia don't feel and you normally experience these symptoms daily.

1. You're literally always tired 

Saying "I need a nap" has become an everyday phrase for me. Extreme fatigue is a common symptom of anemia so being tired all the time is just something you get used to. You also probably drink way too much coffee just to stay awake.

2. You feel like you are going to pass out when you stand up too fast 

Feeling like someone may have to catch you when you get up too quickly is a common thing that us anemic girls understand. Before coronavirus, I had a class that ended at 1:50 p.m. and class that started at 2 p.m. so I always got up super fast — I was certain that I was going to pass out a few times.

3. You get asked if you are sick in the summer because of how pale you look 

No, I am not sick, this is just my skin due to my blood not producing enough red blood cells but I never have time to explain that so I normally just say "no I just don't tan easily."

4. You always need ice and you know which places have the best ice 

Sonic is my favorite place and I spent many nights driving across town to pick up some "good" ice from sonic. You also know that a lot of gas stations have the "good" ice so you sometimes avoid paying at the pump so you can go in and get a cup of ice.

5. No matter where you go, you are bringing a blanket 

You never know when you are going to get those random shivers so you always need a blanket or a hoodie. A few weeks ago I went outside my house in about 70-degree weather to lay out in the sun and had to go back in for a blanket.

6. You get a little scared when your heart starts beating fast 

Telling my family members to feel how fast my heart is beating is a common thing for me. It always scares me a little at first.

7. You're literally never able to give blood 

Every time you get excited to give blood and then being told "no" because you have low iron. One time I was even told I need to go see a doctor because of how low my iron was and all I wanted to do was donate some blood and help people.

8. You feel like you always have to have fake nails 

When you have super low iron you will have very brittle nails that don't grow very strong. All of my friends have pretty natural nails and even when I let mine grow they are brittle and look kind of strange. So you definitely have a favorite nail place and your nail tech probably (secretly) makes fun of your nails.

9. You're out of breath all of the time 

Being able to run four miles at the gym but being out of breath during the warm up time. It can be so embarrassing at the gym when you are running next to someone and you get out of breath just walking for less than a minute even though you are about to run four miles.

10. You have a headache at least once a week 

You probably have a favorite headache medication and you probably keep a bottle of it in your purse. I keep my a bottle of ibuprofen in my apartment, my car, my purse, and at my parents' house.

Anemia can have you feeling sick all of the time if you don't take your iron pills. So take your iron pills and eat your greens so you don't end up experiencing these things. I never thought I would be someone who got used to these symptoms but I have and so have many other people.