10 Signs You're The Girl With The 'Cool Dad'

Probably still stuck in his twenties. But he's still one of the bro's.

279
Naya Shim

Growing up, my Dad has always been the most "famous" of the family. Everyone knew him, or at least knew of him anywhere you were. Definitely relatable when your friends would often say how they wish they had your Dad. Sometimes it made you feel special, sometimes you just didn't understand why. I always had that "Cool Dad." But no matter how embarrassing or obnoxious, there is no doubt that am proud to call him my Dad. So, in honor of Father's Day, here's a little tribute to all the "Cool Dad's" out there (whom we all love very, very much).

1. His playlist has some of the latest pop songs.

When Dad gets the aux, 99% chance it'll be a song from the 80's. But then you get caught off guard with Selena Gomez's "Naturally", or "Story of My Life" by One Direction. And the best part? He can sing, every. single. word. Moments like these are when you and your siblings can definitely bond over shaking heads with disbelief in the backseat.

2. He's got a nickname.

This is how your friends ask about him, address him, talk of him to each other. He doesn't always go by "Mr. ______." That's not cool at all! He's a bro, "the man," "my man," a legend, basically a god. Whether it's a nickname that came from a silly event, memory, or your sports team, my dad? He often goes by "Papa Shim."

3. He's been on your friend's social media at least once.

Your friend's want pictures with him all the time. (What can you say? He's basically famous now). He's gotta make the group photo, after a soccer game, prom, graduation, wherever it is, you're usually the one taking the photo. You'll catch him on Instagram, in someone's Facebook photo album, or even being tweeted about. Sometimes you start to wonder if your friends are really friends with you for your Dad.

4. He whips, nae-nae's, dabs, you name it.

This is partially your fault. Or your brother's or sister's. But he's got all the moves. Definitely took some time out of your day to teach him the "right way" or at least until it looks sorta right. Common errors include: over-whipping, stiffness in the arms, except he thinks it's okay to do it to any song, anytime, and any place. Even if it's not even remotely on the beat. (He literally milly rocks on any block). But it's okay, he's a hip Dad.

5. He's friends with all of your friends.

Not only does he takes pictures with all of your friends, but some may even have his number. You'll get the occasional, "Hey I saw your Dad the other day! I said hi and we talked for like 20 minutes! He's the man." Even worse is that he's the most approachable person ever, and never stops talking, so if you are stuck with him you bet you're going to be standing there for another hour, or two.

6. He always says "yes."

Now, this isn't exactly what makes him cool, other than him being the one to say yes to everything when you ask. That is unless your mom tells him no and then you get the "Sorry, bud. Mom said no so I'm gonna have to say no too." He was the cooler parent when you were younger. They say money doesn't buy you happiness, but he would go get all the ice cream, toys, and watch animated movies with you (Or get a free nap out of them. Same thing!)

7. He's a walking encyclopedia. You just can't NOT talk to him.

Sometimes he just hits you, your friends, and everyone else he talks to, with wisdom. People love that. Got a problem? Somehow he's always got a solution or some motivational speech to get through it. And he never seems to leave a conversation without saying something deep or inspirational. To you? He's just a Dad. To your friends? He's some amazing creature that happens to know everything.

8. He's almost been kicked out, or already has been from at least one of your games.

Your Dad is known to be the loudest one anywhere. You can't miss him! Yelling at you from the sidelines, as you continue to play, act cool, and pretend you don't hear him. Or not in any way related to "that loud guy over there." Arguing with the ref for making a bad call. Who's really the coach here? Sometimes being a little reckless makes him all the more cool. (Whoa you're Dad almost got kicked out last night! Yup.)

9. He's your #1 fan. Always.

Regardless of how loud or embarrassing he may get, he's your number one fan. And everyone knows it. From years of showing up to all of your sports games, whether you were a benchwarmer or not, you could always count on your Dad to tie your cleats, skates, sneakers, and give you the enthusiastic "good job" and a pat on the back afterward.

10. He's your best friend.

There will never be anything better than those late night talks or just talks about life from the man, the myth, the legend himself. You can really tell him ANYTHING. (Okay maybe not exactly anything and everything but you know he's been your age once, so the advice is pretty realistic and honest). He pushes you to be the best student, friend, teammate, son, daughter, and overall person you can be. He's willing to go above and beyond for you (I mean, my Dad's done a SoulCycle class with me and 4 of my girl friends so. If that's not true love, I don't know what is). He's taught you most of what you know, even if it means observing him.

Thank you Dad, and to all the other "Cool Dads" out there for keeping our lives entertaining each and everyday. It is never a dull moment with you, and I think I could speak on behalf of anyone that has the pleasure of knowing you. We don't thank you enough for all that you do. So, thank you.