10 Stages While Waiting For An Acceptance From The Disney College Program

We have all been there. We have all had to wait for something. It could be for a college decision or for finding a job or in my case waiting to hear back for the Disney College Program.

4558
Moderator

We have all been there. We have all had to wait for something. It could be a college decision or for finding a job or in my case waiting to hear back for the Disney College Program. Now, I will inform all of you have not yet heard of DCP (don’t freak out it is the abbreviations). DCP is a magical program where you get to become a cast member for a specific time period. During this time period you get to have the most magical experience seeing how Disney works as a business and create some magic along the way. I waited a long time to hear back from DCP. That process I taught me so much. God blessed me with support and friendships that really go the distance (get it? go the distance? Hercules? I just crack myself up) During this process I gave control to God and His plan for my future. He always has a plan and He knows your wants and needs and he honors them.

Now since that rant is over let me get on with the stages of waiting that I have experienced after my phone interview:

1. Constantly checking my email and dashboard after a day of my phone interview

The day after I interviewed I remember going on my dashboard and screaming at Disney about why they hadn’t sent me my acceptance yet. Well boy I was wrong. Truth be told I still check my email and dashboard a lot more than I need to, shh don’t tell anyone.

2. Giving up hope constantly and then flipping and being completely hopeful and optimistic

Well this was me during the whole waiting process. I had given up hope completely and cried and said that I wouldn’t make it in no matter what and that it is all just a mistake. While the next day I am saying that a wish will come true and that fate will see me through(again Disney reference). It is like a scary looping cycle that I had to go through during this process.

3. When friends get accepted and you have to smile and be happy but on the inside you are crying

This has happened a couple of times. I have had multiple friends that have got their acceptances and I had to sit there and not freak out and cry and want to scream at them and at Disney for not giving me an acceptance. It hurts you a lot and you feel rejected by Disney when in all reality being “in progress” is the best place where you can be other than of course being accepted.

4. Rewinding and Rewinding and Rewinding your phone interview in your mind

I had my phone interview on the 17th of January. When I first got off the phone I was so happy with the performance and how I did. I didn’t second guess anything. Then a week went by and then another and then before I knew it I was second guessing everything. For instance, my word choice. Another example how many times I said “um”. Instead of focusing on the positives I ended up just harking on the negatives.

5. Wanting to cry after you are not in the first wave

Okay, first let me say that I have realized that just because you are not in the first wave does not mean you will never be accepted. Though with that being said it is hard not to cry and panic when you are not in it. Going back to that last point you end second-guessing everything that happened in the phone interview and everything communication you have had with Disney.

6. Trying to deny that you are waiting

This tactic is really fun to try and good luck succeeding. I managed to do it for about a week. I pushed DCP to that back of my mind but honestly one question from someone will put you right back to having anxiety and panicking about when you will receive an acceptance or a NLIC email.

7. Trying to figure out how Disney sends out acceptance emails

I have tried to put every theory to practice and honestly it gets you nowhere but with more questions. You ask so many people questions trying to figure it out but honestly Disney is a mystery and the way it works is even more of mystery. Some people believe they have got it all figured out but don’t be fooled they have no idea. They are just as oblivious as you are when trying to figure out Disney.

8. Watch too many videos and ready way too many blogs about DCP

While you are waiting I know it is tempting to read blogs and videos about DCP and the acceptances and the experiences that it brings or hearing stories about NLIC but this can actually hurt you. I know from me it gave me more anxiety and made me even more nervous. When I first applied I wasn’t as much of wreck because I didn’t read and watch so many of the DCP blogs. So take a break seriously.

9.Getting to the point where you are trying to make plans and you are constantly having to say “if I get accepted to DCP”

This has become a staple in my conversations with people and many people end up changing to “when you get accepted into Disney” oh you people I love your optimism but sometimes I am afraid that karma will come and get me and I want fate on my side. Though in all seriousness it is so hard to make plans during the waiting stage.

10. Coming to realization that you have no control and that God has got you and has made a plan for you

This is where I am at now in the waiting stage. I have moved on from the past 9 ideals and have decided to let go. God has my best interests at heart and I have to realize that. Also what is the worst thing that could happen? That I would have to apply next semester, while that would be devastating and it would hurt me, God has the bigger plan and
He knows what is best in my life.