10 Simple Exercises To Improve And Prevent Neck And Back Pain

Working through continuous lockdowns has automatically turned our lives into a passive experience. Most people are working remotely through their computers and phones

12
Photo by Kari Shea on Unsplash

Working through continuous lockdowns has automatically turned our lives into a passive experience. Most people are working remotely through their computers and phones. This means they're often hunched over screens or typing in undesirable positions. Complaints of neck and back pain have thus increased a lot.

It's essential to keep up with your body and take the appropriate measures to maintain your health. Neck and back pain can be a sign of deadly diseases. Hence, adding a bit of exercise to your routine and making sure your neck and back muscles are relaxed will benefit you in the long run. If you're experiencing excessive pain in these areas, you can also turn to the healthcare experts at Click Pharmacy, who can recommend the proper medication for you. Here are ten simple exercises that will be helpful for you.

1. Wall angles:

If you're a master at making snow angels, you'll get the hang of this exercise in no time as well. Firstly, you need to stand against the wall and fall into a comfortable position. You can extend your legs out, so you're sitting against the wall. Then by stretching your arms out, press your palms against the walls. Once you're in a T-shape position, move your arms up and bring them down like you're making snow angels. You can repeat this exercise 10-15 times. Wall angels work well as a pre-workout exercise as well.

2. Lat pulldown:

This exercise will help relieve the tension in your neck, shoulders, and down your back. You have the choice to do this exercise while standing up or sitting down. You will need a resistance band that is stable enough not to snap or come out of position when you tug at it. Once in place, you can begin pulling at it and bringing your arms down. Repeat this a few times. It will also help the muscles in your upper arms gain movement.

3. Child's pose:

This yoga pose has been trendy for letting the back muscles relax and release stress from the body. Once you are down on all fours, bend your knees on the floor and lower your chest. Having your arms extended upwards will trigger a stretch down your arms to your lower back. The child pose also helps increase the circulation of blood and makes your body more active.

4. High plank:

Seeing planks on the list of recommended exercises often drives many people away. But, high planks can be pretty easy to do, and they have more than just one benefit. Once you're up on all fours, you have to maintain your body in a straight line and breathe steadily. It will add strength to your core and straighten your back muscles out.

5. Knee to chest:

This is a simple exercise to engage your back muscles and also draw some movement into your hips. You have to lie down on the ground, facing upwards. Then, you have to bring one knee up to your chest and hold this position while breathing steadily. Count to 5 and relax your leg back to the floor. Then repeat this with the opposite leg. Your lower back will feel less taut and manageable after this exercise.

6. Cobra Pose:

The Cobra Pose helps add a stretch down through your neck and to your lower back. It's also quite beneficial for maintaining good posture. For the Cobra pose, you have to lie down on your stomach and place your palms right beneath your shoulders. Then, rise by pushing on your hands and keeping your lower body in place. After you've held the position for a few seconds, slowly go back to the starting position and repeat. Maintaining your breathing rate during this exercise is also essential.

7. Superman:

Superman is a position that lets you fulfill your dream of imitating a hero while engaging your glutes and your neck. Lie down flat with your face against the floor, and make sure your legs and arms are extended outwards. Then, slowly begin lifting your legs and arms, just like superman but make sure your neck is in a neutral position. Hold this for a few seconds, come back to the original position, and repeat.

8. Shoulder rolls:

If your neck and shoulder area feel a little too tight after the workday, shoulder rolls are the perfect exercise. Standing straight with your arms down by the side, you have to move your shoulders around in a circular motion. This exercise will help you feel more comfortable as you continue the movements. Your shoulders will feel looser, and your neck won't be as tight.

9. Cervical retractions:

This exercise is probably the most simple one on this list. Lying down flat against the floor with your face directed upwards, you have to move your chin downwards as if you're bringing out a double chin. Squeezing and holding this position will make you feel a bit of a stretch in your neck. Then you can tilt your chin up and try again. This exercise will strengthen your neck muscles and help prevent strains.

10. Overhead arm reach:

This last exercise is straightforward to do, and it impacts not just your back but also opens up your shoulders while giving your arms a good stretch. Firstly, you have to sit down in a chair with your feet planted against the floor. Then, raise one arm over your head and tilt it towards the opposite shoulder. You will feel a taut stretch in the muscles as you repeat this exercise with both arms. It will make you feel invigorated and help you maintain your posture better.

Final word:

Paying attention to your neck and back area is as crucial as it gets. If you turn a blind eye to issues with these muscles for a while, you will face serious consequences. Hence, adding a bit of activity to your routine to ensure your neck and back muscles remain strong and healthy will keep you fit and active.