11 Roommate Moments As Told By "Friends"

You're stuck together for 9 months, so make the most of it.

196
Comedy Central UK

College. It's a time where people learn about themselves, about others, and where people play some master beer pong while earning their master's degrees. Most college freshmen will have a roommate their first year, and you're going to realize that there's a lot you will experience together. Since we're a month into the school year, let's go through some relatable roommate moments. And to my freshman roommate Alex... let's take a walk down memory lane.

1. When you first get your roommate assigned.

It's an exciting time for a lot of people! This is your first time living away from your parents and with another person! So many emotions may go through your head, but try to remain optimistic! This is a journey that you guys are going to be on together, so get ready!

2. When you meet them for the first time.

It's move-in day; you're sweaty, you're tired, and you're annoyed because your parents are introducing themselves to everyone on your floor. And then your roommate walks in. Suddenly all that goes away and you're just happy to have your homie with you. This is either going to be a day you look back on and smile, or look back on and gag. It's all about how you make it.

3. When they become your best friend because you know no one.

One of the many beautiful things about having a roommate is forced socialization. Until you find your "clique" at school, this person is going to be the greatest thing to you since pre-sliced bread went on sale. This doesn't have to be a bad thing; this can actually be a great time for you two to bond and get to know each other better.

4. When you start to learn about each other's "habits".

So yeah... you're going to learn some interesting new things about each other. You've got to take the good with the bad and the dirty. The key to it is communication, and as long as you respect each other's wishes, your relationship will work just fine!

5. When all the snacks go missing...

So back to the whole communication thing... make sure you set clear boundaries on whose food is who's and if you guys want to share. When someone brought me 26 boxes of Oreo's, it was an interesting day in Clay 419. We may or may not have boxed for a box of Red Velvet Oreo's...

6. When your roommate breaks up with someone you hated and you see them in public.

You've got to love that beautiful moment when you get to let go of all that pent up frustration and forced politeness all in one burst. Not that I would know anything about that...

7. When your roommate has "company" over and doesn't tell you...

It'll happen at some point... just buy yourself some ice cream and try to forget about it.

8. When you have your first fight.

Fights are bound to happen. You walk in on them, they eat your Oreo's, or they don't vibe with your music, you'll fight about the dumbest things. The point is that at the end of the day, you need to share a small space with them, so get over it and talk it out like adults.

9. When your RA knocks on the door.

So here's the thing... don't be an idiot and keep things you shouldn't have in your room in your room. You'll avoid jumping into each other's arms and have that embarrassing phone call to your parents when you get a ticket.

10. When finals are coming up.

You guys need to band together and motivate each other to get that work done! FInals suck, but it's not as terrible if you have someone to suffer with you.

11. When the year's over and you say your goodbyes.

Yeah, they can be a pain in the ass, but they're your pain in the ass.

Not every roommate situation is going to be as funny or nice as mine was, but if you want yours to be similar, remember one thing: basic human decency. If you wouldn't want something done to you, don't do it to someone else. You're stuck together for 9 months, so make the most of it.