10 Totally Relatable Things If You're A College Student With Social Anxiety

Being alone is my favorite, and I'm a stronger person for learning to love being by myself.

124
YouTube

Whether you identify as an introvert, the shy kid, or actually have diagnosed social anxiety, we all can relate to the struggles of living in an extroverted world, especially as a college student. Some days we just want to live without having to interact with other humans, but in college that is nearly impossible.

Us socially anxious kids gotta stick together because we get each other on an entirely different level (although not literally stick together because we would rather be alone).

So here are 10 things that I know all of us can totally relate to, and hopefully, this can also bring awareness to crazy extroverts to leave us the hell alone!!!

1. Group projects are the bane of your existence

Not only does socially interacting impact your grade, but it's usually for the final project, the biggest grade! I honestly would rather take a big ass test or write a ten page paper than work on a group project. Also, the kids in your group always end up being stupider than you, so it's just easier for you to do all the work yourself.

2. Always walking around with earphones in

Even if you're not even listening to music (I do this literally all the time.) Earphones in is the universal sign for "don't talk to me."

3. Wanting to go out on the weekends, but then remembering you hate people

Sometimes I get sad when I'm home alone and I think about how much fun everyone is having out at parties on the weekend. But whenever I do actually go out, I would give anything to be back at home alone in my bed.

4. Discussions in small groups make you want to skip class

Discussions as a class are okay because in larger classes you can get away with not speaking, but in small groups, people will seriously think something is wrong with you if you stay quiet the entire time. It's not that I don't know what we are talking about, it's just that if I talk about what we are talking about I might just have an anxiety attack!

5. Being so annoyed when you're eating alone in the dining hall and somebody tries to have a conversation with you

I'm not sure if they're talking to me because they feel bad for me because I'm alone or because they are crazy extroverts (I honestly don't understand extroverted people at all so that could be a possibility) but my eating time is ME time. Let me enjoy my mediocre pizza without interruption, please.

6. Quiet rooms in the library are the safest places on campus

These rooms are a blessing. You're literally not allowed to speak! Sometimes I won't even go to these rooms to do school work, I'll just hang out when I need a break from socializing. There should be more quiet rooms in the world.

7. Participation grades are the spawn of Satan

My inability to speak during class should not affect my grade. Just another example of how extroversion rules the world!

8. Running away from the tablers when they try to talk to you

I feel so bad for ignoring the clubs and organizations that are tabling for their causes around campus, but please don't try to interact with me. I'm avoiding eye contact for a reason.

9. Email is your best friend

Office hours are just not an option for socially anxious people. I can't even talk to my professor in class, how do expect me to walk up into their office alone and speak to them without having a panic attack??? Thank god I can just email them all my questions.

10. Always going to the library, walking to class, etc. alone and being perfectly fine with it

Honestly being alone is a skill that every college student should learn, so I'm really glad I'm so comfortable being by myself! Sorry not sorry to all you extroverts who literally fall apart when you are alone. Being alone is my favorite, and I'm a stronger person for learning to love being by myself.