10 Reasons You Should Always Be Nice to Your Server

Please don't ask to see my manager.

386
Bustle.com

Have you ever heard the expression "you can tell a lot about a person by the way they treat their server?" Well, I've never heard anything so true. After spending the last eight years of my life working behind the scenes of many different restaurants, I've gotten pretty good at killing a**holes with kindness, yet I still find myself wishing for a day I won't have to. So next time you feel like screaming in the face of you're allegedly incompetent server, just don't. Here's why:

1. They're literally serving you.

Didn't mommy and daddy teach you to say please and thank you? We're working our asses off to give you a good experience, the least you can do is listen to us when we speak and thank us for your beer.

2. They're probably doing something else on the side.

Whether it be college, another job or raising a family, chances are your server has something else going on in their life besides the restaurant where you get your favorite burger. Have a little empathy, they're stressed enough as it is.

3. Their paycheck is literally $0.00.

I don't know about you but the last paycheck I've seen was about three months ago, and it was for ninety-eight cents. So while we put on a fake smile and work our hardest for that $2.13, the least you can do is be nice.

4. It's not always our fault.

Oh, your burger came out medium-rare instead of medium? I'm sorry, but last time I checked I wasn't in the kitchen cooking burgers. Please don't yell in my face.

5. It's only food...

Okay I get it, you're reaaaaally mad that your burger came out wrong, but I didn't steal your wallet or push your daughter off of her high chair; seriously, stop yelling in my face.

6. This job kind of sucks as it is.

When I was a little girl, I never said "I want to be a bar waitress when I grow up," but here I am. Please don't make it worse, I'm just trying to survive.

7. It's also a lot harder than it looks.

Do you think you'll be able to effectively serve ten tables with a crashing kitchen and all hell breaking loose? No? Then hush.

8. We are people too.

We may be serving on you hand and foot, but we're still human beings. We are not machines and we will make mistakes. Respect that.

9. We're just as hard on ourselves as you are on us.

Okay, we f*cked up, we get it. Chances are we already knew what we should and shouldn't have done, and we already heard it twenty times from our manager. Give it a rest, please.

10. We're handling your food.

Just sayin'.