10 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Visit Mexico

Who would want to fall in love with beaches and sunsets?

1675

Who would want to fall in love with beaches and sunsets? Or even worse, get chills while visiting one of the Seven Wonders of the World?

I cannot recall how many times people have asked for my advice on whether they should or shouldn't visit Mexico. It not uncommon to read all these news articles talking about how dangerous this country is. I am not going to lie. Yes, we do have drug trafficking, organized crime, poverty, corruption and the list goes on and on.

However, we've all read articles that talk about these same negative aspects. Therefore, if you're still hesitating on whether you should visit or not, I am going to provide you a different list with even more reasons on why you shouldn't visit Mexico. Hopefully, after reading this list, you will make up your mind.

1. Food will make you cry.... of JOY!

Mexican cuisine had to be in the top of this list. No matter where you go, you will always find delicious options to eat since flavor is the number one characteristic of Mexican food. Get ready to spice up your palate while eating mole, enchiladas, pozole, sopes, tacos and an endless list of traditional dishes. However, if you want to eat boring food, then this is not your place to go to.

2. You will fall in love with beaches and sunsets.

Mexico is well known for its amazing beaches and sunsets, which are all over the country from North to South. Dare to visit the Riviera Maya in Yucatan Peninsula or La Paz and Cabo in Baja California Sur. I would never end if I try to mention all of its beaches, but there is one thing I assure you. You will fall in love with all of them and it might be hard to leave.

3. Music will make you want to sing, dance, cry or all of the above.

Does the word Mariachi sound familiar to you? In Mexico, you can find one in almost every city. This genre might make you want to sing, dance, cry or all of the above. I highly encourage you listening to "Cielito Lindo" before you visit Mexico, you will thank me later. However, we not only listen to Mariachi. We have cumbias, banda, reggaeton, pop and rock in Spanish. Not all of these genres are rooted in Mexico, but we still listen to them on every occasion.

4. Chichen Itza will give you goosebumps.

In Yucatan state, you can find one of the Seven Wonders of the World. I am talking about the one and only Chichen Itza, a large pre-Columbian city built by the Maya people. The greatness of the pyramid of El Castillo and its architecture will give you all the chills.

5. You might spend all your money on indigenous handicrafts.

Be ready to spend your money on earrings, handbags, clothes, toys, plates and almost everything made by indigenous groups. If you are a fan of colors, then you will want to buy them all since indigenous handicrafts are meticulously decorated and are very colorful.

6. Festivities and traditions will awake your interest in history.

Festivities and traditions are an essential aspect of Mexican culture. You might want to experience one of the most famous holidays known as the Day of the Dead. On November 2, we celebrate all the people who passed away but if you dig deeper into this holiday's history, you will find out there is a lot of preparation involved in this festivity. Mexico will awake your hidden passion for history and it will make you realize that we don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo as much as you think.

7. You might get too fresh in our numerous waterfalls.

Feeling a little too hot? Dare to refresh yourself in one of the numerous waterfalls located all over Mexico. Whether is the Cola de Caballo (Horse Tail) Waterfall located in the North or Las Cascadas de Agua Azul (Blue-water falls) located in the South, Mexican waterfalls will make you want to dive into them.

8. The architecture inside and outside religious temples will make your photo storage full.

You have to experience the breathtaking architecture and art that can be found inside and out of Mexican cathedrals which are full of history. Don't forget to visit the oldest and largest cathedral in Latin America known as the Mexico City Metropolitan Cathedral. Prepare your cameras and empty your photo storage, you will need it.

9. The warmth and friendliness of their people will steal your heart.

The first thing that pops into my mind whenever I think of Mexican people is warmth. You will find out that Mexican people will always want to make you feel welcome and part of a group since it is a collective culture. Don't be scared if someone hugs you the first time they meet you or if they invite you inside their house like if they've known you for years.

10. But mostly, you shouldn't visit Mexico because YOU WILL NEVER WANT TO LEAVE!