10 Reasons To Be Excited About Your First Apartment

You're out on your own and building your own little home
127

So you're getting your first apartment huh? That's pretty adult-y of you, nice job! I'm sure you struggled hunting for apartments on every online site you could think of, searched for the best price and best value over and over again and finally, finally officially signed the lease and got the deposit in. That's some real world stuff, right there. You should be proud of yourself. Now that you've done all the hard work, its time for the fun part.

1. Decorating

Decorating a dorm was fun, but this takes it to whole other level. Now you have a living room, kitchen and bathroom. Of course, you might have to share these spaces with your roommates, but together you can get some crafty decorating going on.

2. Holidays will feel more like home.

You can put up a Christmas tree, carve jack-o-lanterns and host a party for New Year's Eve. The whole apartment will smell like pumpkin-spice and you can get excited when you put your roommates gifts under the tree to surprise them. Everything will feel a little more like home.

3. A place of your own.

Your first apartment is basically your first "house," just on a smaller level. That's OK, it's still a place a place of your own even if you have roommates. It's finally yours and although you don't officially own it, it's a real step up from the dorms.

4. You get a view.

A room with a view. You get to wake up and look outside and realize that you don't live on campus anymore. Or maybe it isn't that great of a view, but it's a view nonetheless.

5. You'll actually want people to come over

In the dorms, there was usually limited space for a bunch of your friends to hang and it was easy to feel cramped. Besides, our dorms aren't always the cleanest they could be, so it's a little embarrassing when your friends are forced to sit next to the trash you have taken too long to take out or the laundry you've procrastinated on washing. With you first apartment, you'll actually want people to come over.

6. Amenities.

This is how they got you sign the lease -- there's a pool and hot tub right downstairs. Plus, a gym on the first floor so you have no excuse to not workout. You have plenty of amenities to keep you busy and having fun.

7. Pets.

You pray and pray and pray for your roommate to have a pet dog -- that way you aren't responsible for it, but you still get free cuddles and hugs. Living with a dog (or cat) is the best.

8. New neighbors.

Maybe you had a great dorm hall, maybe not. But this is your chance again to meet some new people and make friends with your neighbors. You can pop in and say hi or bake cookies to get them to like you. New hall mates mean potential new friends.

9. Great for having people over.

When you're in the dorms there is only so much room, especially if you want friends over sometimes. Not too many people have futons or couches, so you are stuck on the floor, but now you have space! You can invite people over for big games, movie nights or get together for taco nights. The possibilities are endless and so are the memories that come along with it.

10. It's a first in your lifetime and a little piece of you will always be with it

You'll always remember your first apartment as your own first place. It will have a special place in your heart and so many memories to go along with it. Your first apartment is definitely something to look forward to and be excited about.