Don’t get me wrong, high school wasn’t the worst thing that has ever happened to me but that doesn’t mean I would go back. Of course, I miss playing volleyball and softball and I miss seeing some of my classmates everyday but there is something about living and learning with the same 62 people 7 hours a day, 5 days a week, 180 days of the year. It gets a little old.

Many times we hear the saying, “High school will be the best four years of your life” but honestly if those were the best four years of my life, that would just be depressing. Since I graduated high school I have become a happier person and have made so many incredible memories with the people that truly care about me. More specifically, I’ll give 10 years why I would never go back to high school.

1. Gossip:

He said, she said was a daily occurrence at ________________ Jr/Sr High School. Whether it was about John and Debbie breaking up or about Jessica’s parents finding out she had a party while they were out of town. Everyone knew everything you did before you even knew you did it. And we all had that really mean girl or group of girls that would just make stories up just for the fun of it. Now we’re in college and it doesn’t matter what Rebecca says about you behind your back anymore because chances are you will never see her again.

2. Worrying about Appearance

Everyone says that they don’t care how they look everyday in high school but I’d say 90% of those people are lying. I mean for example, how many people wear their best looking clothes on the first day back from summer break? Uh everyone. Also, how many times did you hear about someone being made fun of for wearing the same shirt twice in one week? I suppose 16 year olds don’t really understand the concept of a washer and dryer. In college we can choose to wear the same shirt two days in a row because our Monday class has no idea what we wear to our Tuesday class.

3. Dress code

It got a little old being told that the female students were distracting the male students and the male teachers. I mean seriously? A shoulder showing should not be considered a sex crime. School administrations need to stop making young women feel as if wearing certain clothes affects a learning environment. Now that I am in college though I suppose I don’t even have to worry about that anymore.

4. On again, off again relationships

We’ve all been there or have had a friend that has been there. And I am as guilty as the next guy. Johnny and Debbie got back together but don’t ask again next week because they probably broke up again. And no matter how many times you try to tell Debbie that Johnny isn’t good for her, she is never going to listen. Eventually, Debbie will move on and find a boy that doesn’t break up with her every other week and you wont ever have to hear Johnny’s name again, HALLELUJAH.

5. Immaturity

You know the boys in class that write nasty things on all the desks? Well most of those boys grow up. I can’t speak for them all but a lot of them understand that drawing their genitals on everything gets a little old when you are actually starting to make something out of your life.

6. Fake friends

Fake friends, these are the group of people that go hand in hand with he said, she said. These are the friends that only seem to want to spend time with you when you offer to give them a ride or pay for their lunch. These are the friends that act like you best friend but as soon as they are with someone else they talk badly about you. Sadly, these people don’t just go away after high school but hopefully as you get older it will be easier for you to spot them because no one deserves to be treated that way.

7. Asking to go to the bathroom???

Why should a human being have to ask to use the restroom? And from what I hear from high school students today, some schools don’t let you use the restroom at all other than during passing periods…. What??? Going to the bathroom is something a person has to do, why are we treated as if we are anything less than that? Labor laws state that employers must allow employees to use the bathroom. Adults who go back to school to continue their education are allowed to get up and leave class whenever they need to get a drink or use the bathroom, so why is it that high school students can’t use the restroom as they please? Shout out to my professors that explained that to me my first week in college.

8. Long days

Words cannot describe how thankful I am that I only have class Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9-3. And I have learned more in the past little over 2 years in college than I ever did in high school. Could it be because I am now treated like a human being that needs a break here and there?

9. Dependence

I got to tell you, this whole dependence thing is still super knew to me. I still find myself asking my parents for permission to go places here and there. But what’s really cool about being a high school graduate is I can do whatever I want. I can move out of the state, go to college, go to grad school, become a doctor, heck I could even quit college if I ever wanted to (which I don’t). I don’t have to ask Mrs. Puff if I can use the bathroom and I don’t have to ask my mom or dad if it’s okay for me to stay the night at Amy’s house. I’m finally becoming my own person and this may surprise you but I am a decent human being with out someone controlling my every move, everyday of my life.

10. Never feeling like you fit in

The great thing about college is all of us are still getting over high school. We are all still trying to find our place in this world but that’s how we fit in. No one really has any idea what they are doing or when they are going to do it. We have our majors and sometimes we have an idea on what we want to do but sometimes life throws a curve ball. Everyone is so much more accepting after high school. Eventually we’ll all find where we belong and hopefully that is sooner than later.

High school wasn’t the worst thing that’s ever happened to me but don’t ever try to tell me those four years were the best years of my life, if anything the past two years have been the best days of my life but who knows because I still have many more years ahead of me.