10 Quotes To Encourage Writers

There are a lot of writers who struggle with actually writing, and I have never met one who does not. Writing a novel, short story, or poem is hard work. I decided to write an article composed of quotes to encourage you to continue.

1. "Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere."

- Anne Lamott

2. "I think new writers are too worried that it has all been said before. Sure it has, but no by you."

- Asha Dornfest

3. "The function of your first draft is to help you figure out your story. The function of every draft after that is to figure out the most dramatic way to tell that story."

- Darcy Pattison

4. "You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page."

- Jodi Picoult

5. "Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on."

- Louis L'Amour

6. "If you want to be a writer you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot."

- Stephen King

7. "You only learn to be a better writer by actually writing."

- Doris Lessing

8. "Every writer I know has trouble writing."

- Joseph Heller

9. "I'm writing a first draft and reminding myself that I'm simply shovelling sand into a box so that later I can build castles."

- Shannon Hale

10. "I think I did pretty well considering I started out with nothing but a bunch of blank paper."

- Steve Martin

I really hope these helped you. Don't worry about if it is good or not, just get the words on the page. You can go back and edit later. :)