10 Questions People Can't Help But Ask College Students During Summer Break At Home

The questions are coming.

194
The CW//YouTube

You've packed your bags and your dorm room is empty. We have officially hit that point in the year when college students are heading home.

Whether you're going back home this summer or staying on campus (such as myself), you are still going to run into your family at some point in time. All of those family reunions, weddings and summer weekends are filled with fun times.

For us college students, they're filled with questions. Whether you enjoy these questions or not, they are coming! So let's prepare ourselves...

1. "How is school going?"

The moment you get home, this could be said to you. This is people's way of figuring out how your grades are without asking you how your grades are. Oh, and as if we want to talk about school when we just got a break from it!

2. "What are you majoring in?"

Depending on your answer to this question, you either open a can of worms or you get encouraged. For myself and all my other fellow psychology majors, we get the money lecture or the "why would you want to do that?" follow up question. My favorite is...

3. "What do you want to do when you get older?"

Ah, the magical question. If we all knew the answer to this question wouldn't our lives be so much easier? If your response is one that they like, similar to #2, you're golden. But be ready for even more questions if it is not something they agree with.

4. "Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend yet?"

If the answer to this question is no, they are going to tell you how awesome you are and that you don't need a man/woman in your life because you are so awesome.

If the answer to this question is yes, they want to know when the wedding is. Sometimes I forget that people used to get married and have kids by the time they were 20...

5. "Do you have a job?"

As if college isn't enough work, we are expected to have jobs too! Now, I have 3 jobs but that is beside the point. When I say yes to this question, I always get "you shouldn't be pushing yourself so hard!". But if I were to say no (as I have seen others do), the response is "how are you going to have money? You should really be working, it builds character!". I wish everyone would make up their minds, for real.

6. "Are you eating enough?"

I don't look like this because I am not eating! Summer body? Mine isn't even out of winter hibernation yet. Colleges keep us nice and warm with their yummy cheese bread and the ice cream place down the street. Might not be eating right but we sure are eating enough!

7. "Did you miss me?"

Oh yes, person I have only met once in my life and cannot even remember your name. I missed you SO much! I often get this from my mom, whom I call at least 3 times a week.

8. "What are you doing this summer?"

Well, most of the time, work, but...

9. "How is work going?"

If I am not at college or in class, I am working. There's also a theme to all these questions. It's either going to be about school or work, as if that's all we like to talk about.

But to answer that question...

10. "When do you go back to school?"

We just got out, we are now free, and you already want us to know when we are going back? We can worry about that in August. Let us enjoy freedom for three months!