7 Problems With Being An Ambivert In College

Ambivert: a person whose personality has a balance of extrovert and introvert features.
497

Years ago, I took a quiz. You know one of the super reliable online facebook quizzes? Yeah, that.

It was to see if I was an extrovert or an introvert. That quiz introduced me to the term ambivert and that is when I discovered my true personality.

Ever since that quiz, I have characterized myself as an ambivert. One thing I have noticed is that my introverted tendencies dominate my extroverted tendencies.

Now in college, and being away from all the familiar things at home, I realize what it TRULY means to be an ambivert and some of the problems that come along with it: especially when my introverted side takes over.

1. Going to the dining hall

You want to eat with people and have fun but then you think about how amazing it is to be able to eat alone and not have to worry about taking a bite at the wrong time and someone asks you a question.

2. Nights out

The idea of going out with your friends sounds super awesome and fun, but then you start to think about all the effort it will take and how many NEW people you will be introduced to and forced to talk to.

3. Missed opportunities

Sometimes your desire to stay in and not go out, depending on the mood you are in, results in missed opportunities and memories.

4. Indecisiveness kills precious time

When it is time to figure out if you want to go out, or do something, it takes you about five years to finally decide. By that time, it is either too close and you have no time to get ready, you are already late, or you just killed your mood on even wanting to go out.

5. New classes

The extrovert in me is excited and thinks about the possibility of meeting new people. The introvert in my thinks about everything that could go wrong and reminds me of my how shy I actually am.

6. Every day is different

You could wake up feeling super extroverted and ready to seize the day and an hour or two later you could be wishing you were back in your room watching reruns of Friends.

7. You're an awesome listener, but not the greatest at speaking for yourself

I enjoy listening to people and letting them rant. When it's my turn I usually keep it in and don't speak my mind unless we are REALLY close. In that case, you should feel SUPER special.