10 Books To Read For #NationalPoetryMonth

"Books! The Best Weapons In The World!" -Doctor Who

130
Jocelyn Mosman

I hope everyone's National Poetry Month is off to a good start and I can't believe it's already over halfway over! However, to continue the celebration of National Poetry Month, I wanted to charge you with the challenge of reading some of these wonderful poetry books this month! These are some of my personal favorites, but feel free to share yours in the comments if I didn't mention it on here and remember, this is just one way to celebrate this wonderful month. Other suggestions are listed in two previous articles: Top 10 Part 1 and Top 10 Part 2.

1. "Without", Donald Hall.

(Amazon, $14.35)

If you want a poetry book that will make you cry your eyes out from start to finish and make you wish you owned more tissues, this is the book for you. I first read this book for a class assignment and sat down on my bed to read it. By about poem #3, I was sobbing and that didn't really stop until the end of the book. This book was written about the loss of the poet's wife, Jane Kenyon, to cancer. For anyone who has ever lost someone they love, this is a book that will encourage the healing process in a beautiful and painful way.

2. "Chorus", Saul Williams.

(Amazon, $13.97)

This book is written by various poets and compiled by Saul Williams. He does a fantastic job of creating a linear narrative between each piece and also creating a hidden narrative in the darkened words and letters from various poems to reveal the chorus-like poem streaming through the book. Definitely a great idea and this book gives readers a chance to read many poets at once without, perhaps, even realizing it.

3. "No Matter the Wreckage", Sarah Kay.

(Amazon, $11.87)

Those of you who have read my other articles know how I feel about Sarah Kay. The truth is I adore her. I adore her poetry and her work. She's a superstar. This book is no different. She makes readers feel amazing, wonderful emotions in this book that are unquestionably unique.

4. "Today Means Amen", Sierra DeMulder.

(Amazon, $13.29)

Similarly, Sierra DeMulder is another one of my favorite poets and I have to say, between seeing her perform and reading her book, I fell in love with the poetry even more. A lot of the books I have mentioned on this list are about healing and recovery and self-love in some fashion. This book is the epitome of that healing.

5. "SparkleFat", Melissa May.

(Amazon, $15.00)

Allow me to preface this by saying how much I've enjoyed getting to know Melissa over the years and how magical it was for me to finally meet her last week. She is a blessing and her book is incredible. For someone who doesn't always fit the social standards of "thin" or "beautiful". these poems are empowering. Melissa is definitely a role model in her courage and strength and an inspiration to many (myself included) to keep writing.

6. "Racing Hummingbirds", Jeanann Verlee.

(Amazon, $13.72)

Oddly enough, I read this book as part of the same assignment as reading Donald Hall. However, this book provides the spunky and energetic spirit of Jeanann Verlee. Her book is filled with nuance and well-placed humor. She manages to put into words many of the unspoken truths of womanhood and adolescence.

7. Native Guard, Natasha Trethewey.

(Amazon, $13.78)

I first read Native Guard in my Intro to Lit course in college and I am so glad I did. Her story is ultimately filled with power. I spent most of the class writing response poems to the warrior-quality of her work. Her metaphors are untouchable and historically so significant. Absolutely an incredible and eye-opening read.

8. "Hot Teen Slut", Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz.

(Amazon, $14.46)

Perhaps my favorite thing about this book is its use of humor. I sat down and read this book and laughed so hard at parts while cringing at others. Cristin has a way of being vulnerable and open while also being absolutely hilarious and fun. If you need a lighter read after crying your way through some of the above poetry books, definitely give this book a try!

9. "Chasing Utopia: A Hybrid", Nikki Giovanni.

(Amazon, $15.78)

Nikki Giovanni is a blessing. This book is a hybrid between poetry and prose, with explanations of text, letters, poems and stories strewn in book form. An absolutely gorgeous book, this definitely makes the top list for me because it is so well-constructed and, frankly, Nikki's way of using words is so unique and so uplifting, it couldn't not make this list.

10. "Pole Dancing to Gospel Hymns", Andrea Gibson.

(Amazon, $14.68)

This is classic Andrea Gibson. I first read this book back in middle school and have used it in debate tournaments and as inspiration for my growing sense of what good poetry looks like. While Andrea Gibson has written other books since this one, the fact that it was my first real encounter with spoken word style poetry makes it definitely one of my top favorite poetry books of all time.

Happy National Poetry Month! I'll be back next week with more ways to celebrate. For now, get to reading!