10 Places That Every Student Studying Abroad In Europe Needs To Visit

Because sometimes major cities are simply overrated

4309
The Telegraph

It's around the time that you see statuses on Facebook being changed to, "See you, USA! I'm going abroad to Venice for the Spring Semester!" As someone who studied abroad once before, congratulations. It's a wonderful opportunity filled with the ability to not only blow money on the most random of things but to understand what life is like outside the confines of the country you live in.

But, with European travel and studying abroad comes the ability to literally go, well, ANYWHERE. One can now buy plane tickets from London to Barcelona for literally $40 and be there within two hours. So, with that being said, we compiled a list of places that you must visit while studying abroad. Make sure you try one of these, because you never know when the opportunity to travel abroad may even come again.

1. Malta

This tiny island is home to about 450,000 residents, making it one of the smallest yet most densely populated countries. Besides the Spanish, Italian, and African influences that the people of Malta reveal within their food, fashion, and drinks, Malta is home to some of the most beautiful views of the Mediterranean Sea. Whether you're looking for private beaches with a small amount of people, or beaches where you can mingle with other 20-something year olds from all around the world, Malta is the place to be.

(Photo: Remax Malta)

(Photo: Le Meridien Malta)

2. Zugspitze, Germany

Though not many people can properly pronounce this name, Zugspitze is quite the spectacle, even for someone being abroad in the summer. Zugspitze is the highest peak in Germany, tailing a total of 9,718 meters above sea level. There, you can find some of the best winter-like views, as well as get to say that you were at the tallest point in all of Germany! All in all, this is a great place to visit.

(Photo: Tourism/De)

(Photo: FlyTeam)

3. Valencia, Spain

Located in Southern Spain on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea is Valencia, home to the University of Valencia, one of the oldest universities in all of Europe. While the food here is phenomenal, the nightlife will keep you going to the morning. Here, you can find not only adults enjoying the amazing views from their terraces, but college students renting out penthouse apartments and stumbling back from bars at 6am.

(Photo: Hotel Sorolla Centro)

(Photo: Sunbonoo)

4. Berlin, Germany

While Germany is usually never on someone's #1 to-do list when they go abroad to Europe, it's definitely a must-see. There's loads of history packed into Berlin, their capital, and it's definitely worth taking a look at. It's also known as one of the safest places in Europe to visit. Plus, there's amazing food and great culture, so why not take a shot at it?

(Photo: Pinterest)

(Photo: National Geographic)

5. Verona, Italy

Not many people would consider traveling to a smaller-sized village while going abroad, but sometimes the best places when traveling are the lesser populated. One place that you must see is Verona, Italy. Popularly known as the home of Romeo & Juliet,

(Photo: Sleep In Italy)

(Photo: Where Would You Go)

6. Corfu, Greece

Though sometimes it might be a tad expensive to visit this country because of its plummeting economy and all, Corfu is worth the expense. Grecian culture is filled to the brim with history, including what we know today as Greek mythology. With clear aqua oceans for miles and fabulous hand-crafted architecture for blocks, Corfu is definitely somewhere to visit.

(Photo: I Love Greece)

(Photo: Tourist Maker)

7. Cork, Ireland

If you're more a fan of greenery rather than water, you've come to the right place. Ireland is filled with culture, open space, and Instagram-worthy photo opportunities, and Cork is the best place to start. Cork not only gives you the opportunity to visit an urban setting with their city life, but also a taste of rural which will make you feel like a character in The Sound of Music.

(Photo: VisitWestCork)

(Photo: Imgur)

8. Reykjavik, Iceland

This popular city is becoming more and more of a tourist destination ever since airlines started to discount trips here in mid-2016. This popular city, though known to be very cold, has some of the most spectacular views in the entire world. It's sure to be a tourist spot, especially if you're out to visit the infamous Blue Lagoon.

(Photo: Veltra)

(Photo: Infohostels)

9. Monaco, France

Home to the Grand-Prix motor race, Monaco is where the richest of the rich party, sleep, and spend their hard-earned money. Famous for its debut in several movies, including Wolf On Wall Street, this city is quite the looker. Hugging the Mediterranean coastline, you can not only visit their amazing beaches but also play your hand at one of their many casinos.

(Photo: Longines Global Champions Tour)

(Photo: Imgur)

10. Prague, Czech Republic

Last but not least, we have the ski destination of Europe. Much like Aspen, this city comes with a pretty penny. However, it's definitely worth it. During the winter, it's a ski destination. During the summer, it's a peaceful and eventful city with tons of free events going on. Plus, who doesn't love the Czech Republic?

(Photo: The Telegraph)

(Photo: Corinthia Hotels)