10 Peruvian Dishes Everyone Should Try

10 Peruvian Dishes Everyone Should Try

A mixture of criollo (typical) dishes inspired by homesickness.

51
10 Peruvian Dishes Everyone Should Try
Flickr

It's been two months since college has begun and I've already been homesick countless times. What I've missed most is the delicious taste of a home cooked meal, as I'm sure a great majority of my latino friends do. This National Hispanic Heritage month brought memories of the delicious criollo cuisine of mi patría, Peru. If you're Peruvian or latino, these dishes may be very familiar to you.

Otherwise, this will hopefully encourage you to go try some of these delicious meals!

1. Ceviche

It's considered the defining dish of Peru. Although it's also found in other South American countries along the Pacific coast, it's only here where seafood and mountainous ingredients are harmonically combined.

2. Papa a la Huancaína

Peru has the most variety of potatoes in the world. This is easy to make and is it's creamy yellow sauce is incomparable. It can be made each time with a different type of potato.

3. Causa

A favorite among people of all ages and sizes because honestly, no one can get enough of potatoes, one of the main ingredients in this unique dish. It can be made alternating between seafood or chicken.

4. Pollo a la Brasa

Cheap, yet amazingly delicious, this well-roasted chicken is the most flavored plate among Peruvians that can be found in every corner.

5. Ají de Gallina

The hint of spicy flavor the yellow sauce brings to this traditional dish must be tried by any kind of food-lover, regardless of whether you like spicy food or not (some places have an option for a non-spicy version!).

6. Arroz Chaufa

This dish is the most representative of the 'chifa' cuisine in Peru which includes a mix of Chinese cuisine (châofàn in traditional Chinese evolved into 'chaufa').

7. Lomo Saltado

This is also one of the main attractions of Peruvian cuisine and there have been a variety of fusions with

8. Arroz con Pollo

Who doesn't love rice? Even though this plate seems simple, the mixture of flavors is amazing. 'Rice with chicken' is also surprisingly easy to make and can be accompanied by any selection of salad or fries.

9. Ocopa

This dish seems similar to Papa a la Huancaina. However it's defining characteristic is the green creamy sauce made with a base of the plant itself ocopa, which can only be found in a couple of South American countries.

10. Rocoto Relleno

Last but not least, this 'Stuffed Spicy Pepper' just hits the spot for anyone who is a fan of good spicy food.

There you have it! These are definitely some dishes that you'll have to try if you ever decide to make a stop in Peru.