10 People You Definitely Encounter As A Lifeguard

Every pool has one.

298
imgur.com

Summertime at the pool attracts a multitude of people that some never see in their daily lives. Everyone wants to get a taste of the warm sunshine and the refreshing water. As a lifeguard, there are a lot of things you see when people come out to the neighborhood pool. For some, there are a number of people who show up at pools and I feel a lot of lifeguards can relate.

1. The Parent Squad

These are the parents who seem to have been friends forever. They show up with coolers filled with enough beer and snacks to last them the whole day. Once they sit down, they pay no attention to anything but their poolside party.

2. The Kid Who Can Barely Swim

Every time they put their head under, you nearly have a heart attack because you are afraid they won't come back up. It's a lifeguard feeling, so you are always at your best attention when this kid gets in the water.

3. The Parent Who Dresses Like A Teenager

Whether it is a dad in a speedo or a mom whose bikini just does not fit properly, every pool seems to have one of these adults. You can only hope the diving board hears your silent plea to keep everything in place.

4. The Family Who Treats The Pool Table Like A Trashcan

There is no possible way a family of four can make this big of a mess, but they have proven me wrong. There is not enough Clorox in the world to get the smell of McDonald's off of that poor table. Those picnics alone fill up one trash can.

5. The Middle School Squad

There are rules in place for a reason, please do not test why they are rules. When this squad rolls up to the pool, you need to have your whistle as close to your mouth as possible because you will need it every five seconds.

6. The Kid Who Tests Your Patience

This one can vary. Whether it's holding their breath as long as possible (are you drowning? Are you not drowning? Please stop) or intentionally breaking a rule when you're not looking, there is a kid who tests you in every way. They might look to see if you are watching them before they swim over the lane rope, or just kind of lay at the bottom of the pool and watch you slowly freak out.

7. The "Cool" Guy

Every pool has that one boy who flirts with all of the female guards. He tries to show off by doing fancy jumps off the diving board or shaking off water as he climbs out. All of the male guards are best friends with him and acts like one of the gang. But then all the girls are just kind of eh about him.

8. The Olympic Swimmer

Every pool has one person who could be in the Olympics. They swim as if they were a torpedo and are there every day to swim laps. You are jealous of how perfect their flip turn is (teach me) and watch them in hopes that their talents will rub off on you.

9. The Early Bird/Late Bird

You either have an early bird swimmer or a late bird swimmer. The early bird is the one who is at the pool the second you open, forcing you to speed through any last opening duties as fast as you can, otherwise they will jump in without someone on duty. The late bird is the person who comes in 15 minutes before you close and insists on swimming until the very end of the night. You might have hoped to get off on time, but instead you will be there 30 minutes longer to clean up.

10. That Couple

They are either an adorable old married couple who has been together for 50 years or a newlywed or newly dating couple who can't get enough of each other. The married couple gives you relationship goals in how they talk about each other and their experiences, they simply swim around and laugh and it's perfect. Or the new couple who is constantly touching and you cringe up on the stand because you have to watch them. No, please, my eyes. There are children.