10 Nice Cream Recipes That Will Change Your Life

Because dessert should always be acceptable to eat for dinner

30

If you haven’t heard of “nice cream” by now, you’re really, really missing out. But for those of you who don’t know: nice cream is the magical, creamy (yet super healthy!) dessert that is a result of blending frozen bananas. Yeah, that’s it. Literally all you need is some bananas, a freezer, and a blender. But sometimes you just have to get fancy with this healthy treat by adding some flavor. Sure, you could stick to the plain chocolate or vanilla by adding cacao powder and vanilla extract, but I’m here to share some of the best and more creative flavors you’ll ever try.

Since I came up with all of these by taste testing, the measurements are not exact and should be dependent on your personal preferences. It all depends on how many bananas you use. Per batch, I probably end up using about 3 bananas.

Without further ado, let’s get the list started.

1. Matcha

Matcha lattés don’t have to be the only trendy use for this healthy green tea powder. This is probably one of the simplest flavors to make. All you need is:

• Frozen bananas
  • About 2 teaspoons of matcha powder
  • Splash of water or plant-based milk (almond or soy works well with this flavor) to facilitate blending

The result of blending these ingredients together is a pleasant and refreshing flavor for those who like green tea. I like mine fairly strong, so I usually try to recreate the same green color each batch (see photo).

Best-paired toppings: berries (extra antioxidants!), mango, pineapple, goji berries

2. Chocolate caramel

Need I say more? This flavor tastes kind of like a candy bar, minus all the added chemicals. In terms of health, it’s actually the exact reverse of a candy bar, providing you with lots of good sugars and vitamins to fuel you through your day. Who doesn’t want that?

• Frozen bananas
  • 5-6 Medjool dates
  • 1-2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Splash of cashew milk (or other plant-based milk)

Voila! You’ve just made a healthy Milky Way. The dates add to the caramel flavor and the dessert is made chocolaty and creamy with the help of cashew milk and cacao powder.

Best-paired toppings: cacao nibs, chopped nuts, vegan chocolate sauce (try Choc-shot!), chopped dates

3. Tropical fruit

This is the perfect nice cream to make on a hot day when you’re dreaming of relaxing by the beach. It’s the perfect balance of tropical flavors that will satisfy your sweet tooth while giving you a dose of healthy vitamins and minerals.

• Equal parts frozen banana and frozen mango
  • ¼- ½ cup fresh pineapple (can be frozen as well with addition of more liquid)
  • Splash of coconut water (or regular water)

The addition of coconut water to this recipe really is a game-changer, so use it if you can. If not, you’re left with a delicious nice cream anyways, so don’t worry. Adding more fresh fruit will make the consistency more fluid, so balance it out with the right amount of water.

Best-paired toppings: Fresh tropical fruit (try kiwi or passion fruit!), and coconut flakes.

4. Pumpkin spice

Yeah, you just read that right. If the pumpkin spice latté just isn’t your thing or if you prefer a sweet treat instead of overpriced coffee, you’ll probably love this recipe. This one is perfect for the fall.

• Frozen bananas
  • 3-4 medjool dates
  • Heaping tablespoon of canned pumpkin
  • Dash of cinnamon
  • Dash of ginger
  • Dash of nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Splash of plant-based milk (only if needed!)

Basically, you can now eat AND drink your favorite autumn flavor. It’s even acceptable to have this for breakfast so don’t worry. Depending on the amount of pumpkin you use, you might not even need the milk for texture. You could also substitute the spices for prepared pumpkin pie spice if you have to.

Best-paired toppings: Chopped pecans or walnuts, chopped dates, vegan granola (or plain oats).

5. Wild blueberry

As simple as this one may sound, don’t underestimate the power of this dark purple berry. The secret to this one is to use wild blueberries, the small, almost black ones you can find in almost any frozen fruit section. Using conventional blueberries will only dilute their flavor.

• Frozen bananas
  • ½ cup of frozen wild blueberries
  • Splash of water

This nice cream will basically taste like summer and everything fresh and delicious. Similarly, you can also make other berry flavors with this recipe that taste almost just as good.

Best-paired toppings: More frozen blueberries, fresh berries, chia seeds, mango, coconut flakes

6. Cinnamon vanilla

Another simple yet yummy delight. Don’t underestimate the simple power of vanilla, as it can really bring a comforting quality to otherwise plain nice cream, somehow making it more decadent.

• Frozen bananas
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2-3 medjool dates
  • Dash of cinnamon

This one turns out just like a healthy twist of classic vanilla ice cream. It’s perfectly sweet and flavorful, with warming cinnamon and caramel-like dates bringing out the best in the simple banana.

Best-paired toppings: Oats, chopped dates, figs, or nuts, grated or finely chopped apple, extra fresh banana

7. Lime mint

This one is a personal favorite. It’s really refreshing and perfectly tangy, while still satisfying that sweet tooth. I used to make a huge bowl of this and eat it for breakfast pretty much every other day.

• Frozen banana
  • Handful of chopped mint
  • Juice from one lime

Using cilantro or even basil instead of mint can also give a surprisingly delicious and sophisticated flavor. I find that with the addition of lime juice, another liquid isn’t needed. However, if you still find your nice cream hard to blend, add a dash of water.

Best-paired toppings: Berries, mango, pineapple, goji berries, and coconut flakes.

8. Acai

You’ve probably heard of acai bowls, but now you can make your own acai nice cream. This combination is pleasantly tart yet tropical, not to mention delivering a healthy dose of antioxidants.

• Frozen banana
  • ¾ frozen pack of unsweetened acai
  • Frozen mango
  • Splash of coconut water

This is basically just a more solid take on the classic acai bowl, but feel free to play around with different fruits and proportions in the recipe. I find that balancing the tart acai with sweet tropical fruit like mango and pineapple works best, along with the addition of coconut water.

Best-paired toppings: Goji berries, tropical fruits, berries, vegan granola, and chia seeds.

9. Chocolate Hazelnut

If this flavor sounds like a particular chocolaty spread, you’re on the right track. This Nutella-inspired flavor will satisfy that sweet tooth in no time, while also acting as a healthy way to treat yourself.

• Frozen bananas
  • 1 Tablespoon raw cacao powder
  • Handful of finely chopped hazelnuts
  • Splash of hazelnut or cashew milk (or other plant-based milk)

The addition of hazelnuts to this dessert gives it an irresistibly satisfying crunchy texture and flavor throughout. I like mine to be super chocolaty, so I use enough cacao powder to be able to taste a little bit of bitterness like dark chocolate.

Best-paired toppings: Extra hazelnuts, fresh banana, cacao nibs, oats, flax seeds, and raisins.

10. Yellow pear

Last but surely not least, this flavor is another delicious one, especially when you use the right type of pear. Make sure you go for yellow Bartlett pears, and freeze them only when they are noticeable soft to the touch and darkening in color. This provides maximum sweetness and juiciness.

• Frozen banana
  • Frozen yellow pear
  • Splash of plant based milk

The trick to this one is really making sue that you’re freezing the pears at peak ripeness, so make sure you wait for the right moment. You won’t be sorry.

Best-paired toppings: Chopped figs, dates, or nuts, cinnamon, frozen or fresh berries, kiwi, pumpkin seeds

I really hope I just proved that its super simple to make refreshing treats/meals at home. I basically lived off of huge nice cream breakfast bowls this summer, so I can testify that these flavors will actually change your life. Make sure you’re using only plant ingredients so as to maximize health and energy, as well as help protect the animals and our beautiful earth:)