10 Positive News Stories Everyone Needs To See

In a world where negativity sells, pay attention to the positive.

6

News stations and other media forums are constantly racing to get the exclusive, to be the first to report on breaking news stories, to have the highest ratings. So, considering this paradigm, I can understand why coverage leans toward the negative side. However, continued and expansive reports on stories that depict death and terror and other news akin to these takes a lot out of the viewer. Yes, we have an innate belief that there's going to be a happy ending. However, the bombardment of negativity (especially recently) can smother that hope for eventual happiness.

In a world where negativity sells, you can make the conscious decision to pay attention to the positive. To start you off, here are a few news stories to remind everyone that there is good going on in the world around us.

For length considerations, I am only briefly highlighting the main points in the selected news stories. If you would like to read or see more, please, follow the hyperlinks above the descriptions! Enjoy!

1. Homeless Person Defends Man From Thieves Who Wanted His Wheelchair

Don't judge a book by its cover.

John "Triston" Stubbs, a homeless man with cerebral palsy, was robbed at knifepoint for his wheelchair when another homeless man, Joseph Hall, came to his rescue. Afterwards, Hall used all the money he had to rent a hotel room for Stubbs to make sure he could rest peacefully for a night.

2. Judge Allows Inmate To Meet And Hold 1-Month-Old Son For First Time

Talk about a true act of kindness.

Knowing that James Roeder would be facing jailtime for burgulary and wouldn't have the chance to meet his son for quite some time, Judge Amber Wolf arranged for Roeder to meet and hold his newborn baby, who was born while Roeder was in custody.

3. Strangers Play Pokemon Go With Teen With Autism After He Was Called The R-Word

An autistic boy who was bullied by two men who appeared to be Arizona State University students was invited by dozens of teens to play the augmented reality game, Pokemon Go, with them.

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a fan of this game, so stories like these make me have a deeper appreciation for what it has done for communities around the world.

4. Veteran Homelessness Has Dropped By Nearly 50 percent Since 2010

According to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, veteran homelessness has dropped by nearly half since 2010 thanks to various partnerships as well as an initiative started by First Lady Michelle Obama.

Although I won't truly be happy until there aren't any homeless veterans at all, this is certainly a start in the right direction.

5. Police Find Lonely Elderly Couple Crying, Make Them Spaghetti Dinner

An elderly couple in Rome, who were crying due to loneliness and due to the headlines in the news recently, were visited by policemen who cooked for the couple and spent time with them.

Especially in consideration of the headlines pertaining to police officers, to see this story is refreshing.

6. Instead Of B-Day Gifts, This Boy Asks For Shoes For People In Need

Gunner Robinson, for the third straight year, asked for shoe donations for other kids for his birthday. Robinson has established his own organization, Gunner's Runners, which is responsible for having provided children in his community with 600 pairs of shoes.

I think we all could learn something from this 10-year-old.

7. Uber Driver To See Son Compete In Olympics, Thanks To Passenger

Ellis Hill, a retired bus driver and current Uber driver, received a fully paid trip to Rio to see his son participate in the shot put competition thanks to Liz Willock who established a GoFundMe page for him. What's even more incredible is that the goal of $7,500 (for a plane ticket, hotel, meals, a passport and other travel expenses) was met in just two days. One specific donation came from a Philadelphia attorney, Robert Mongeluzzi, to the tune of $1,545.

8. Harrowing Video Shows Baton Rouge Woman, Dog Pulled From Sinking Car

During recent flooding in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, a woman and her pet dog were saved from a sinking vehicle by complete strangers. The video of the rescue has since gone viral and is provided in the hyperlink above.

9. Boy With Rare Illness Holds On Long Enough To Become Honorary Marine

Get the tissues ready.

Wyatt Gillette, an 8-year-old boy who suffered from Aicardi-Goutierres Syndrome Type 1, causing him to experience numerous medical problems including seizures and complete kidney failure--received his Eagle, Globe and Anchor (an emblem representing someone offically becoming a Marine) just a day before passing away.

10. Bride Gets Walked Down The Aisle By A Man With Her Father’s Heart In Tearful Ceremony

Still have those tissues?

Jeni Stepien, a Pennsylvania bride, was walked down the aisle at her wedding by Arthur Thomas, the man who received her father's heart. When Stepien embraced Thomas, she couldn't hold back tears because she felt her father's heart beating in his chest.

Sounds like something out of a Nicholas Sparks novel.