10 Literary Characters Who Shaped My Childhood

Through reading, I have forged connections with these characters. They feel something like friends.

60
Flickr

I've loved books for as long as I can remember. I loved them when my mother read them to me; I loved them when I could only read the Junie B. Jones series for children; I loved them when I took the plunge into my first real chapter book, the "Harry Potter" series.

Through reading, I have forged connections with these characters. They feel something like friends. As such, they've each taught me something that really shaped my character.

1. Harry Potter ("Harry Potter")

I hardly remember my life before Harry. Aside from the more obvious lessons about bravery and selflessness, Harry taught me that harsh circumstances don't have to make me cruel or bitter. Perhaps more than anything, Harry taught me about resilience.

2. Hermione Granger ("Harry Potter")

I first read about Hermione when I was about eight years old. Immediately, I decided I wanted to be like her: smart, empathetic, and brave enough to apply my wisdom. Hermione taught me that bravery does not necessarily mean recklessness, and intelligence does not forfeit emotional availability.

3. Ron Weasley ("Harry Potter")

To be quite honest, Ron frequently irritated me, especially when I was a child. I didn't like how he was so easily jealous of his brothers or Harry, and I hated how he treated Hermione. But I always liked Ron, even when he threw his temper tantrums. I figured I could tolerate those rotten moments to get to the golden ones-- the ones where he's funny and brutally honest and willing to fight until death.

4. Anne Shirley ("Anne of Green Gables")

There are no words for how much I love "Anne of Green Gables." Anne always amuses me with her joyful spirit and her flair for the dramatic. These qualities are especially beautiful in contrast to her traumatic childhood in the orphanage. Anne taught me that pan can make you cruel, or pan can make you kind.

5. Augustus Waters ("The Fault in Our Stars")

Since Gus was the first literary character I ever fell in love with, he taught me a lot. Sometimes tragedy strikes innocent people, and all too often the cause is far beyond anyone's control. Despite that, Gus taught me that I can choose to be on "a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend." I can choose to find happiness in this temporary world.

6. Ponyboy Curtis ("The Outsiders")

Ponyboy taught me a great deal about friendship, family, and loyalty. He taught me that even when the world is falling down around me, there is something beautiful to be found in the world. Also, he taught me a great Robert Frost poem, "Nothing Gold Can Stay," which I haven't forgotten since first reading it in the seventh grade.

7. Peter Pevensie ("The Chronicles of Narnia")

Peter taught me about bravery in the face of danger. Also, I related to Peter, since we are both the oldest siblings in our family. Through his successes and failures as the leader of his family, Peter taught me how to be a leader.

8. Susan Pevensie ("The Chronicles of Narnia")

Honestly, I never really liked Susan, but it doesn't seem fair to exclude her from a list that includes her other siblings. Besides, even if I didn't especially like her, Susan taught me that wit is a powerful tool.

9. Edmund Pevensie ("The Chronicles of Narnia")

Edmund taught me that anyone who is truly sorry and willing to mend their ways can be redeemed. He also taught me about the dangerous people who seek to exploit the innocent for their own gain. Edmund warns about the dangers of being envious and greedy while also conveying through his character that we are much more than the sum of our flaws.

10. Lucy Pevensie ("The Chronicles of Narnia")

Lucy taught me that bravery isn't always the willingness to wield a weapon or to fight with wit. Sometimes, the truly brave thing is to rely on your own faith and sense of goodness. Lucy taught me that despite all hardships, I must hold on to my own light.