11 Lessons Summer 2017 Taught Me

11 Lessons Summer 2017 Taught Me

Live up to the "YOLO" saying.

15
11 Lessons Summer 2017 Taught Me

As Summer 2017 comes to a close, I've realized this has been the best summer of my life. Memories were created, friendships were made, and lessons were taught. With the first year of college right around the corner and summer break coming to an end, I thought it would be appropriate to reflect on what I've learned from this past summer.

1. Spend time with your friends from high school.

You're all going to be going to different colleges, so you might not see them again for a couple months to a year. Make the most out of your time with your high school friends before it's too late.

2. Don't work too much.

Additionally, don't work too hard. Yes, you may want to put in a ton of hours to make bank and save for college, but if you really think about it, this is your last "free" summer. In the future, your summer will consist of full-time jobs, internships, and applications, while the summer before your first year of college has little to no adult responsibilities. Take advantage of your free time, and spend it with people you care about. You'll be working every day for the rest of your life, so use this summer wisely.

3. Don't worry about that boy (or girl).

Of course, it would be nice to spend your summer with a significant other, but if you don't have one, don't stress about it. So what if things don't work out with the one you were talking to? That just means better things are in store. You have your whole life to find "the one," and it's okay if it's not now. Don't waste your summer drowning in misery because your crush left you on read; you'll find someone who won't.

4. Take a road trip.

Again, use your free time wisely. Take the time to plan a day trip with your friends, and follow through with it. It's a nice, fun way to get away, and it'll create lifelong memories. Adventure is out there, and it's better to find it with your favorite people.

5. Relax.

Stop stressing out about college before it's even started. Stop dwelling on the past, along with what's to come. Save yourself the trouble for when it's actually relevant. It's alright to take a nap, chill and watch Netflix, and have time for yourself. Relax and take a breather, because that's the whole purpose of summer break.

6. Spend time with your family.

While it's important to hang out with your friends while you have the chance, it's also important to make some time for your family as well. You also may not see them for months upon months, and you'll miss them more than you thought you would. Go shopping with your mom, driving with your dad, and out to breakfast with your grandparents. You'll regret not spending time with them, and it'll most likely make their day if you ask to make plans with them.

7. Stop thinking about high school.

High school may have been one of the greatest (or worst) times of your life, but you've graduated --- move on. Stop bringing up what happened three years ago, and stop worrying about what a girl you went to high school and don't even talk to is doing right now. Leave the old high school drama and gossip behind, and focus on the present and what great things are in store for the future.

8. Expand your music taste.

Listen to more than just what's on the Billboard Top 100 at the time. Mix up your Spotify playlists, and go for some country, rap, and the classic throwbacks from the 2000s. It's refreshing to find new music, and when your friends pass you the aux cord, you'll be glad you have different songs to jam to instead of the same music played on the radio.

9. Spend time with your dog.

Or your cat, bird, or turtle. You won't be able to take your pet with you to college, and you'll miss them more than you could ever imagine. Cherish your time left with your best buddy, because like everyone else, you won't see them again for months.

10. Take pictures.

Add to your Snapchat story, post on Instagram, create a "Summer 2017" Facebook album. Take photos of everything and treasure every moment and every photograph. Looking back, you'll be thankful you captured some of the craziest, silliest memories that will stick with you for a lifetime.

11. Develop a different mindset.

Take this time off from school to grow as an individual. Set off good vibes and positivity. Develop the "why not?" perspective instead of the "what if?" perspective. Say yes to every opportunity given to you, and don't even keep in mind the fact that you have to be up at 7 a.m. for work the next morning. Do yourself and the people in your life a favor, and don't spend your summer in bed or at work all day. Have fun while you can, laugh while you're young, and live in the moment. Don't second-guess anything, because you have so much more to gain from the experience than you have to lose.