10 Lessons My Mom Taught Me

10 Lessons My Mom Taught Me

She’s not entirely wrong about life and the lessons she’s taught me.
767

It’s no secret that my mom is my best friend. We have a unique relationship that not all mothers and daughters get to have, and I feel very blessed to have such. Throughout the 23 years of life she’s given me, she has taught me so many valuable lessons that have stuck with me to this day. The best part is that she’s still continuing to teach me valuable lessons every day.

In honor of the amazing woman she is, and the thought-provoking lessons she’s given me, here are my top 10 useful and favorite ones.

1. No one likes a frugal person

The best type of people are those that are most giving. Whether it is the shirt off of your back, or treating someone out to dinner, the act of giving can take you a long way. For those that don’t really believe so, it can be seen as an act of selfishness, and greed. And those are not the type of people one should be surrounding themselves with.

2. To have a friend you need to be a friend

Friendship is a 2-way street. Both parties must put in the effort for the friendship to be successful. This doesn’t have to be done so just with the act of giving and simply spoiling one another, but rather being there for the other person. And investing your full support as a friend and confidante.

3. Always stick to your skincare routine

Wrinkles start forming at the age of 18. So it’s never too early to start fighting the negative side effects of old age. But when you stick to a healthy skin care routine which ALWAYS should include taking off your makeup at night, you will have healthy glowing skin. And what girl doesn’t want that?!

4. Never show up to someone’s house empty-handed

When invited to someone’s house for any social function, it is always customary to show up with something to give them. This can be a bottle of wine, a cake, or even flowers. Bringing something for them to keep is a sign of gratitude for having you over.

5. Thank you cards are mandatory

Another sign of showing your gratitude is none other than the old-fashioned, handwritten thank you cards. It’s a simple act but can mean so much when you express your feelings an appreciativeness through written words. And doing so in a timely fashion is what is most appropriate. That, will never go out of style.

6. Just because something looks good does not mean you look good in it

In other words, dress to what is most flattering to you. Just because something is absolutely stunning doesn’t mean you should wear it if it’s not fitting to you. Figure out alternates, and dress to what’s comfortable. And when in doubt, black is always a slim-fitting color on everyone!

7. If the dish has garlic in it, pick it

As a garlic fanatic, my mother has taught me that as a non-fattening ingredient it can make the blandest of dishes turn into the most flavorful. If it requires more than one clove, put as much as you want. It doesn’t hurt to overindulge in it.

8. Always say I love you

You never know when your last chance will occur to tell someone you love them. And even if you’re upset with them, say it like you mean it because something tragic could happen in the blink of an eye. And no one. I mean no one. Wants to live with that guilt for the rest of their lives.

9. Moisturize

Your 70 something-year-old self will be so thankful you started early.

10. Everything happens for a reason

This may be the most important piece of advice that has stuck with me through the time my mom has been a mom. She has justified every negative occurrence in my life as later resulting in being a reason to have occurred. This piece has gotten me through the darkest of times and has proved that there is ALWAYS a light at the end of the tunnel waiting for me.

So although I sometimes want to roll my eyes and never want to admit my mother is right. She sometimes has some pretty valuable pieces of information. She’s not entirely wrong about life and the lessons she’s taught me. And in fact, this is just a small handful of things I’ll end up teaching my kids and passing down generations to come.