We have all scrolled through Pinterest or Tumblr and come across a quote that makes us question the world in which we live. I'm talking about the "what" moments where you see a cheesy quote overlapping a picture of a clearly photo shopped sunset. By no means am I roasting all quotes, I even have a couple of my favorites above my headboard in my room. BUT... some of the most iconic quotes really should make us wonder.

1. "If you love something set it free"

I'm sorry what? If you truly love something why would you set it free? If you met the love of your life, why wouldn't you fight for him/her? Letting someone free in some cases is necessary but some people are worth fighting for. Relationships of any kind don't come easy so when you find the right people don't set them free.

2. "Never settle"

This quote sounds good in theory but it is extremely unrealistic. Of course, don't settle for your relationships, dreams, or aspirations but sometimes you have to settle before you make it big. Also never settling implies that when things don't work out just the way you wanted them to, you settled. I did not get into every school I applied to but by no means am I currently settling. Sometimes in life, you have to bloom where you are planted even if that was not the original plan. Settling is necessary and it builds character. If we got everything we ever wanted, then we would never settle. Settling doesn't mean not trying hard enough, sometimes it just means working with what you were given.

3. "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Since when is crying a bad thing? I cry nearly every day and always feel better afterwards. Tears aren't a sign of weakness, if anything showing your emotions shows strength. After a horrible breakup, the first thing I would want to do is cry and eat a tub of my favorite ice cream. Of course, I would be happy that it happened but I also have the right to be sad. It is okay not to be okay. Cry first, smile later.

4. "If it's meant to be it's meant to be"

I am not a fortune teller and I don't think the rest of society is either. Again, what does this mean? I am convinced people say this in an attempt to get girls to stop crying. I admit I have said it myself for this exact reason! This is a drastically outdated quote that never makes anyone feel better. When do you know to keep fighting and when do you know to give up? A lot of things aren't meant to be but we convince ourselves they are. Like gauchos, crocs, or fanny packs. We all questioned these at first, but wore them because everyone else did. Gauchos were not meant to be!

5. "Reach for the moon... even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars"

Hmmm. Maybe if you're Neil Armstrong this applies to you but I am not a world famous astronaut. I don't have a space helmet and if I missed the moon I would be out of oxygen. People oftentimes have problems admitting their failures. Missing the moon isn't a failure but don't justify a mistake by saying the stars are what you always wanted. Try again for the moon and odds are with hard work and dedication, you'll get there the same way Neil did.

6. "You know you're in love when reality is finally better than your dreams"

If anything, this sounds like a sleeping disorder! Love is not like what they portray in the movies. It changes over time as we do. Sometimes love is changing your child's diaper when your significant other is dead asleep. I certainly don't dream of changing diapers but this is definitely an act of love. We all dream of love but if you never wake up you'll never find it.

7. "Girls are like apples, the best ones are at the top"

Where are my middle girls at? What happens if you are a middle apple? Does that mean you'll just fall or rot and end up mashed in an apple crisp? I certainly hope not! Girls are girls, we are not fruit. There is no best girl because they're are amazing girls everywhere if you just keep your eyes open.

8. "You'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

DUH... Sometimes I think I could write famous quotes. This quote needs to go because we all know this. 1 + 1 still equals 2.

9. "Live everyday like it is your last"

Kind of depressing isn't it? Humans are planners, we cannot anticipate everything but we do have plans for the future. If I lived everyday like it was my last, I would have no money and there is only so many times one can go sky diving. I am not saying don't live an exciting life but we have a lot of years ahead of us, don't do everything in one day. Otherwise there is nothing to look forward to.

10. "Nice guys finish last"

Ah, a classic. This quote either encourages nice guys to be douches or encourages douches to keep doing what they're doing. As a girl, I can assure you, nice guys are appreciated. We need more of you! You do not finish last! Nice guys are not "friend zoned" they are simply good people. Anyone with good morals does not finish last.