10 Tips For Incoming Freshmen

I remember being a freshmen like it was yesterday. I was so nervous entering the basketball court for the beginning of orientation; a beginning of something new. I purposely chose a college that I knew nobody else from my high school was going to so I could meet new people and broaden my horizons, so to speak. Especially if you're dorming (which I recommend doing for at least one year), you're likely feeling the way that I was and you might not be sure how to handle college life. That's totally okay, and I hope my tips will help you out.

10) Make A Packing List Before You Start School

If you're dorming, this is necessary. If you're commuting, while not necessary, it's still nice to make sure you have everything you need for your classes. A few days before you're set to start college, check over the list and make sure you have everything you need.

9) Buy/Rent Your Textbooks Before Classes Start

Most schools have a link to buy/rent textbooks online through the bookstore website. Use this to find out what textbooks you need, but don't buy/rent your books there unless you can't find it anywhere else. It's significantly cheaper to get the textbooks elsewhere. I usually google the ISBN number provided and am able to get my textbooks for a fraction of what they would have cost at the bookstore. If you can't find your textbooks online, there's no harm in emailing your professor and asking.

8) Take Advantage Of Student Discounts

Many businesses give out student discounts if you sign up online with your edu email, or in person with a student ID. This is a great list of discounts available.

7) Take Advantage Of What Your School Has To Offer

If something sounds interesting, do it! Even if you try it and end up not liking it, at least you gave it a shot.

6) Get Some Form Of A Planner

Time management in college is crucial if you want to be successful. You can buy a planner for a reasonable price from Marshall's or Target, you could buy a dry-erase wall planner, or even Google Calendar can be used as a great organizer!

5) Get Involved, But Don't Overdo It

Getting involved definitely helps with making friends, but be careful to not get overly involved. Only bite off as much as you can chew, or you'll just find yourself stressed out all the time.

4) Try To Skip Class As Little As Possible

I get it. We all have those days where we just don't want to deal with life. Or you have that one class that you absolutely hate, that's required for your major, and you need a day off from it. Try to use those days sparingly. Most professors have an attendance policy, and are usually pretty strict about it.

3) It's Okay If You Don't Find Your Friend Group Right Away

Their seems to be this societal notion that the second you step foot into freshmen orientation, you'll find your group of forever friends right off the bat. While that's true for some people, this really isn't the case for most. For me personally, it actually took a little bit of time for me to find my group of friends. Know this is totally okay.

2) Find A Balance Between Academics And A Social Life

Try not to focus on one more than the other. It may be hard, but if you manage your time well you should be able to find a balance that works for you.

1) You Really Need To Study.

In high school, the material was easier so it could be easy to pass an exam without studying for it. In college, that's almost impossible. You really need to find time to study for your exams. Most classes only have one or two exams a semester, so it can make or break your grade if you don't do well on an exam.

You'll be fine! Once you're on campus for a few weeks you'll figure out what works for you and what doesn't. Try not to worry about it too much.

Related Articles Around the Web