10 Helpful Tips And Methods To Reduce Stress

You are the one feeling such a way, and you are the one who can take action and find a solution.

46
unsplash.com

Stress. We all experience it at some point. In college, stress levels can run particularly high, as there is so much pressure on students to complete assignments, find jobs, be involved in extracurriculars, etc. Life can get downright overwhelming and it can be hard to even function sometimes. I, for one, tend to get very stressed out if there’s a lot on my plate at any given moment.

However, I’ve implemented some very effective, useful methods in my daily life to help reduce stress, and I’d like to share them with all of you. Here are 10 helpful, easy ways to combat daily stress levels:

1. Get enough sleep!

I can't stress this enough (excuse the off-color pun), but getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night can do wonders for your mood. Waking up late and feeling groggy is no way to get through the day. It throws off your biological rhythms. In my opinion, the best night's sleep is from 11pm-7am. Not too early not too late. Your stress is a result of overwhelming yourself and being extremely busy. To get your mind on track, adjust your sleep schedule. You will be able to think more clearly as well as concentrate better, therefore relieving stress.

2. Take 15 minutes to just breath and decompress

Whenever I'm experiencing a ton of stress at any given moment, I try to pause whatever I'm doing for 15 minutes to just wind down. This could be by listening to music, a quick nap, or just sitting and thinking of literally nothing. When the 15 minutes is up, I always feel much more energized and able to concentrate.

3. Listen to your favorite music

Nothing can improve your mood or bring comfort like music. Whatever your mood is, there's a song for that. When under massive amounts of stress, taking a break and listening to music can alleviate such feelings. I personally find that when I'm feeling stressed out and down, listening to my Spotify playlist always helps to improve my mood.

4. Talk to someone about your worries

If you're struggling with something that may seem too complicated to handle on your own, there's absolutely nothing wrong with confiding in someone about what's going on and hearing their perspective. This could be anyone from a family member, friend, or even a counselor. Never, ever feel ashamed if you have to go to therapy. It's not a sign of weakness, but rather a sign of bravery and strength as you are finally facing your issues head-on and seeking help. For me, I find that confiding in my closest, trusted friends about what is stressing me out at any moment to be most helpful, as they offer insightful perspectives that I may not have considered before.

5. Write down what’s on your mind

Keep a journal and write down what is bothering you. Getting out your feelings on paper is an excellent stress reliever. You also get to think deeply about what's troubling you and really figure out if it's even worth stressing over. It's proven that when you physically write down your thoughts, they become more manageable.

6. Take a shower/bath

Nothing feels better after a long, stressful day than taking a nice hot shower/bath. You can interpret it as literally washing off the worries of the day. It also helps you to clear your mind and sleep better.

7. Eat comfort food

Nothing's wrong with indulging in your favorite food when you're under large amounts of stress. I'm not saying to do it all the time, but every now and then why not get that piece of chocolate cake or burger and fries? It will 100% make you feel better.

8. Go on a walk/run

It's a scientific fact that when you undertake any form of exercise, your body releases endorphins, or the "feel good hormone," which in turn can make you feel more energized and positive. The more you exercise, the less stressed you'll be. Daily exercise, whether that be walking, running, etc will not only reduce stress levels, but help you focus and concentrate on your tasks.

9. Watch your favorite T.V. show

Feeling stressed? Take a short break and watch your favorite show. It will help get your mind off whatever's bothering you at the moment. You'll also get a good laugh if it's a comedy show. Regardless, taking time to enjoy some good T.V. can lessen your stress levels, even if it's only for a half hour-hour of the day.

10. Remind yourself that these tough times will pass

Stress is part of life. It may not seem like it right now, but these stressful times will certainly pass.It all starts with you. You are the one feeling such a way, and you are the one who can take action and find a solution.