10 Inspiring Stories To Remind You That There Is Still Good In The World

Because Lord knows, we all need some uplifting news right about now.

27

It seems as if in current time, everywhere we look are news headlines that carry despairing and hopeless stories. Yes, some of these are important to read (most covering day-by-day updates of COVID-19), however, focusing only on the discomforting articles instead of balancing it with inspiring coverage is toxic for our mental health.

Not only are we forced to social distance from our loved ones, but staying inside and only having discouraging news perpetuate our lives is escalating our anxiety about the situation.

So, as I was sitting, scrolling through news sources and getting tired of reading disheartening stories, I thought that what individuals need to hear right now is comforting and inspiring reports; reassurance that yes, even today, there is still good news in the world.

Man Uses His Savings to Fill Up Gas Tanks For Dozens of Nurses Heading to Nearby Hospital

www.cnn.com

Allen Marshall, a compassionate Michigan man, held a sign on the corner of Exxon gas station that read: "Free Gas for Nurses." He spent about $900 from his savings to fill tanks of between 50 to 80 vehicles for workers of Detroit Medical Center.

Even after he ran out of money, he continued to stand at the intersection and held a new sign that read: "Thank You for All You Do!"

"I just love them and I want them to know that," said Marshall.

You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/man-uses-his-savin...

16-Year-Old Has Been Using His Flying Lessons to Deliver Medical Supplies to Rural Hospitals Fighting COVID

TJ Kim, a teen out of Maryland, and his family launched "Operation SOS" (Supplies Over Skies), a mission to deliver necessary supplies like masks, gowns, sanitizer, and shoe covers, in order to help rural hospitals in need.

He asked his flying instructor, David Powell, to deliver these supplies to Virginia hospitals for their flying lessons.

You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/teen-flies-supplie...

Tyler Perry Picks Up the Tab for All Groceries Purchased During Senior Shopping Hour at 73 Supermarkets

www.today.com

Thousands of senior citizens in New Orleans and Atlanta, Georgia were ecstatic when they heard their groceries have been paid for by the "Atlanta Angel."

The donor's identity was kept secret until word got out that Tyler Perry had picked up the tab for 44 Kroger locations and 29 Winn-Dixies.

You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/tyler-perry-pays-f...

Bill Gates is Now Building Factories to Produce 7 of the Most Promising COVID-19 Vaccines

techcrunch.com

Bill Gates and his foundation recently announced that in response to COVID-19, they will be accelerating the effort by building factories for all seven promising vaccines that are currently in development. His foundation has extensive expertise in infectious diseases.

Even though only one or two of them will likely be produced and the construction development will likely waste billions of dollars, Gates asserted that having the facilities ready for one of the treatments will save thousands of lives in the long run.

Gates also added, "To bring the disease to an end, we'll need a safe and effective vaccine. If we do everything right, we could have one in less than 18 months—about the fastest a vaccine has ever been developed."

You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/bill-gates-buildin...

Free Market Forces Will Obliterate Global Coal Reliance Within 10 Years, Says Study

www.indystar.com

We are now turning to the free market instead of world governments to do the most for advancing the use of clean renewable energy.

Today, investing in coal projects is more expensive than renewables. The report estimates that the cost of running and investing in coal is about 50% more expensive than renewables. By 2030, that number is likely to double to 100%.

Carbon-heavy facilities also have a slow rate of return and open the door for market competition from renewables; this is why the free market is turning to where the government is failing--it is expensive to invest in electricity-generating resources, and since banks and financial institutions are the main investors, they are turning away coal operations and instead looking for clean and renewable sources like solar and wind.

You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/study-says-free-ma...

When Student Was Having Trouble With Math Homework, Teacher Gave Her Private Lesson From Her Front Door

www.cnn.com

A middle school math teacher from South Dakota has gone above and beyond to help a student with her homework, following social distancing guidelines of course.

12-year-old Rylee Anderson was unsure how to graph an algebraic function, so when she emailed her teacher Chris Waba, he took a whiteboard from his home and walked down the street to communicate face-to-face.

"That's what teachers are looking for, those smiles. That's the joy of being a teacher and that's what we do it for," said Waba.

You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/math-teacher-gives...

'Landmark' Study Lays Road Map for Exactly How We Can Restore Oceans to Former Glory in Just One Generation

www.plantbasednews.org

A new international study has laid out a road map for restoring marine ecosystems to their healthy levels; if accomplished, oceans could return to their former glory by 2050.

The study involved some of the world's leading marine scientists from four continents, using evidence from successful conservation interventions to recommend crucial steps to restore marine life.

You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/landmark-study-out...

This Diligent Dog Has Been Delivering Groceries, Meals, and Mail to Senior Neighbor in Quarantine

www.thisdogslife.co

This "pawesome" story covers a golden retriever, Sundance, delivering groceries and mail to his senior neighbor, 71-year-old Renee Hellman.

Owner of Sundance and neighbor of 10 years Karen Eveleth wanted to help Hellman in some way during the quarantine without potentially endangering her. In conclusion, she taught her dog how to deliver groceries to Hellman's door.

You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/dog-delivers-groce...

Mystery Mom Has Been Leaving Out Free Bagged Lunches 'Made With Love' for Anyone Who May Need Them

www.104star.com

An anonymous mother from Maryland has been leaving out hundreds of free bagged lunches for those who may need them during the coronavirus shutdowns.

Hanging from the table is a sign that reads: "For anyone who needs it … I will be leaving some healthy sack lunches on this table for you if you are hungry and need to eat. Made with love by a neighborhood mom in a clean and sanitized kitchen."

The table has been stocked with free lunches from 11:00 AM to 1:30 PM, every day, for a number of weeks.

You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/mystery-mom-leaves...

First-of-its-Kind Blood Test Can Detect Over 50 Kinds of Cancer--Often Before Symptoms Even Show

www.medicalnewstoday.com

In the journal "Annals of Oncology," it has been noted that researchers have developed the first blood test that can accurately detect more than 50 types of cancer and identify in which tissue the cancer originated. This is often before symptoms even show.

The test has a 0.7% false-positive rate for cancer detection, meaning that less than 1% of people would be wrongly identified as having cancer.

You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/first-of-its-kind-...

In these dire times, it is essential to focus on the good. Smile more, laugh more, love more; everyone needs it. Keep in mind that we will get through this together, and things will improve--meanwhile, make sure you are balancing the uncomforting news with good ones, and keep your chin up. There are still plenty of good things happening in the world.