10 Things I Would Go Back And Tell Myself Before My Freshman Year At College

Mistakes I've made turned into lessons I've learned

28
Thought Catalog

Leaving home and living in a completely new city, college was a huge change in my life. I asked and took all the advice I could get, but even so, I don't think I was prepared for what college would be like. So, here's just a few things that I wish I could go back and tell myself before my freshman year.

1. At times it's lonely.

The first few weeks of college you'll feel a bit lost and alone. But, don't make the mistake of clinging on to the first person you meet or the friend you went to high school with! Put yourself out there, spark conversations, and send open invites. You can't wait for people to come to you. Eventually, you're going to meet great friends and you guys are going to talk about how you were all feeling the same way. You'll realize that you weren't really alone.

2. You're going to lose a lot of friends, but you will gain even more.

As you grow and other people grow (or don't), you'll lose a lot of friends. It will be hard when the people you thought would be in your life forever, aren't. In the end, it'll be a great thing. You're going to stay close and become closer with people you never expected to. Most importantly, amazing friends will come into your life that you know are lifelong. People that truly want to be in your life will make an effort.

3. Don't stress over things you can't control.

The worst things will happen to the people who don't deserve it, and you're going to experience things you never thought you would. You can't control bad things from happening, but you can control who's in your life, how hard you work, and your attitude. School will be hard (finals week is actually as terrible as everyone says). Calm down, breathe, and just give it your all. Freaking out and mental break downs will do nothing but hinder your performance. Accept that difficulty is a part of life and embrace it.

4. Stay passionate.

All your life, you've kept yourself busy with clubs, dance classes, and music lessons. Just because you're in college doesn't mean you have to stop. Continue to do what makes your heart pound and makes you feel alive.

5. You will meet people with extremely different mindsets from you.

Living in the suburbs, you haven't experienced anything. There is so much out there you have yet to see. You're going to meet people who have grown up and lived completely different lives than you. Learn from them and your differences. Respect those with views similar and opposed to yours. But be wary--everyone doesn't prioritize kindness nor have good intentions.

6. Call your family more often. You're going to miss them more than you think.

Sometimes, all you'll want is a big hug from your mom. The hardest thing is that she isn't there. So, call her more often, because she's constantly missing you.

7. Be open to change.

Everything in your life, including yourself, is going to change. It'll be equally scary and exciting. Be open to trying new things, but keep it in moderation. Ask yourself, would eight-year-old you be proud of who you're becoming? Your morals will be challenged, so stay true to you. Change can be a beautiful thing.

8. Stop online shopping so much. You're going to go broke.

You will resort to retail therapy for all your problems! So, unsubscribe from emails and texts from your favorite stores, because they're literally always having sales and free shipping. You're going to regret not saving your money so you can do bigger things like travel.

9. Sometimes you're going to have to put yourself first.

College unfortunately, doesn't stop for anybody. Which means sometimes, you can't stop for anybody. At the end of the day, you have to do what your gut tells you and what will benefit you in the long run, as harsh as it sounds. Invest in you, treat your body and mind right, because you're all you've got.

10. You're at college to get a degree.

In the midst of going out, meeting new people, and having fun you're going to forget that you're at college to get an education. A wise person once said, "naps are now, GPAs are forever." Work hard and it will pay off.