10 Not-At-All Expert Takes On The Tony Nominations

Even if this year's Tony nominees feel a bit more familiar than some would like, I still adore the Tonys.

103
YouTube

For a theater fanatic like me, the Tonys are basically the Super Bowl. Though I tell myself not to obsess over them too much, I always end up reading article after article of Tony predictions, scrolling through Broadway-related message forums, and watching countless "Tony preview" videos on YouTube.

But even with all of these wonderful resources out there, I do feel that some aspects of the Tony nominations remain a bit untapped. So with that, I've decided to revisit what I did during Oscar season and offer some of my opinions on this year's Tony nominations.

1. The "Mark Rylance" award for "Actor that is always in critically-acclaimed projects yet I never recognize him" - Mark Rylance

It seems that Mark Rylance, despite his roles in critically-acclaimed works such as "Dunkirk,"(which I didn't even recognize him in until the credits rolled) "Bridge of Spies," "Twelfth Night," and this year's "Farinelli and the King" is perennially underrated. It's a real testament to the strength of his "Lead Actor in a Play" category that he's not currently the odds-on favorite to win the award (that honor seems to go to Andrew Garfield at the moment). I also didn't realize he was knighted until I wrote this article, which shows just how unfamiliar I apparently am with a truly accomplished stage and screen actor.

2. Biggest Tony snub - Barrett Wilbert Weed for 'Mean Girls'

I'll be the first to admit that compared to the last couple of years, this Broadway season seems a bit lacking in originality. However, I do think that the Tonys still managed to leave out several very worthy contenders, namely the actress who starred in the off-Broadway sensation "Heathers"and is now a stand-out in "Mean Girls." Her voice cuts through the poppy cast recording in a fantastic way, and I can't stop watching this performance that she did on "The Tonight Show"a few weeks ago. Even if "Heathers" never finds its way to Broadway, I hope that Weed will land herself a Tony nomination in the future.

3. Head-scratching nomination I didn't anticipate - Amy Schumer for 'Meteor Shower'

Though the internet loves to throw vitriol at Amy Schumer for stealing jokes and whatnot, I actually think she's a pretty funny comedian. Nevertheless, it seems odd that for a play that received reviews ranging from lukewarm to faint praise, she would be the sole Tony representative. Especially since Broadway veteran and Tony winner Laura Benanti also starred in "Meteor Shower." Since comedies rarely do well at the Tonys, I doubt she'll end up winning, but it certainly would be interesting to see her add "Tony winner" to her list of accolades.

4. The "Denzel Washington" award for "automatic nominee for whatever he does nowadays" - Denzel Washington

From what I've seen online, I can't remember reading all that many rave reviews of "The Iceman Cometh" or its iconic star, Denzel Washington. Yet, every article leading up to the Tony nominations listed him as a guaranteed nominee. I'm sure that he delivers a strong performance in this production, but this and his Oscar nomination last year for "Fences" both feel more like Lifetime Achievement Awards to me, rather than recognition for his current work.

5. Musical with the longest list of people to thank - 'Spongebob Squarepants'

I can't remember a time in recent memory when a musical had such a long list of artists who contributed to the score. For "Spongebob," there's David Bowie, Aerosmith, Sara Bareilles, Brendon Urie, John Legend, Cyndi Lauper, Lady Antebellum, and many more. And those were just off the top of my head. Despite this seemingly chaotic list of artists, I thought that the score for "Spongebob" held together remarkably well, and I still listen to the Chicago cast recording months after I saw the show.

6. The 2018 version of "Nominee who previously starred in 'The Book Of Mormon'" - Grey Henson

I haven't yet seen "Mean Girls," but one of my favorite parts of the original movie is the friendship between Cady, Janis (played by afore-mentioned Barrett Wilbert Weed), and Damian, played by the first-time nominee Grey Henson. Between Henson, Ben Platt and Gavin Creel last year, original cast nominees Andrew Rannells and Josh Gad, and several others, it seems that the charming Mormon delight is still churning out future Tony nominees years after it opened.

7. Tony categories that I wish were always televised - Best Book and Best Score

When I was looking through a few Tony prediction sites while writing this article, it became apparent for me that unless you're Lin-Manuel Miranda, if you win the Tony for Best Book or Best Score you likely won't get to accept it on TV. I consider this a travesty since the script and music are truly the anchors for any good musical. Though I do understand that the broadcast can get a bit monotonous with too many speeches, I'd still rather these awards be recognized on-screen than watch a performance from "Escape to Margaritaville."

8. Objectively traumatizing production that somehow snuck into the nominations - '1984'

Though "1984" is a play adaptation of a very famous book by George Orwell, on stage I don't think it will have the same staying power. This is in part due to many reports of audience members fainting, throwing up, yelling at the stage, or yelling at each other due to the show's extremely intense torture scenes, strobe lights, jarring sound effects, and political subject matter. It did manage to eek out a nomination in this year's triumphant return of the Sound Design for a Play category, but with the press, it's received I really doubt it will emerge victorious on Tony night.

9. Most disappointing Broadway adaptation of a recent movie - 'Frozen'

Disney has not had many disappointments on Broadway in recent years. I still haven't seen "Aladdin" or "The Lion King," but I loved "Mary Poppins," "Newsies," and "The Little Mermaid". However, I've mostly been reading tepid and mediocre reviews of "Frozen" that say its new songs aren't that good and it doesn't capture that iconic "Disney magic" on stage that one might expect. Considering that every one of this year's "Best Musical" nominees is adapted from existing source material, three from movies, I'm not surprised that one underwhelmed, and based on what I've seen and read I think "Frozen" is unlikely to win any Tonys this year.

10. Show I (cautiously) hope wins Best Musical - 'Spongebob Squarepants'

Why am I cautious about this? Well, it seems that many critics have praised "The Band's Visit" as the only really deserving piece of musical theater to grace the Broadway stages this year. Since "The Band's Visit" is heavily, heavily favored to win Best Musical, I have a feeling that the internet and critics alike would riot or have an aneurysm if anything else won. However, I stand by the fact that "Spongebob" was the most purely enjoyable show I've seen in a while, and though I doubt it will win Best Musical, I'd be thoroughly satisfied if it did.

Broadway's success this year leaned heavily on revivals and adaptations, but I see this trend as part of a constant cycle of creativity and originality in the theater world. Several years ago, people were also saying that Broadway was devoid of original thinking, and then a little show called "Hamilton" came along. Even if this year's Tony nominees feel a bit more familiar than some would like, I still adore the Tonys and can't wait to watch them on June 10.