10 Insider Disney Tips From A Local Pro

10 Insider Disney Tips From A Local Pro

Learn to do Disney like a local.

19
10 Insider Disney Tips From A Local Pro
Thomas Kelley

As a Florida local, I'm also a self-proclaimed Disney professional. I've gone to Disney more times than I can count. My family and I, over the past 16 years, have somewhat perfected the art of the Disney vacation. So, as black-out dates are coming to an end, here is my gift to you--a local's guide to Disney.

1. Plan Ahead

As with any vacation, it's imperative that you plan ahead for a Disney vacation. If you're any type of season passholder check the Disney website to make sure you're not planning on visiting during black-out dates.

A major concern most people have when visiting Disney is crowd sizes. Luckily enough, there are very nice people who have collected the information and put this together so you can know the expected crowd sizes for each part at any time during the year. My family has personally found that the time between the beginning of the year and spring break is the best time to go, as it is right after the Christmas crowd and the spring break rush.

2. Make Use of the Disney Website/App

Disney is famous for their fast passes, but there are a few catches. You can only get three per day at first and then, once you use all of the first three, you can get one at a time. They are scheduled, meaning you can't decide to use the fast passes whenever you want, their times are preset. If you order your tickets online, you can start reserving fast passes (no earlier than 30 days before your trip).

3. Splurge for Disney Hotels

If you can, try staying at a Disney hotel. If you're a passholder, you'll get discounts on your stay. If you're not a passholder, it's still a great value. You get free parking at the parks, but you also have the option of taking the free Disney buses to and from the parks.

Some of the parks even have boat and monorail access. For example, the monorail goes straight through the Contemporary. Disney hotels don't offer free breakfast, but they all have a snack bar of some sort and a restaurant that serves breakfast at a reasonable price.

Also, if you're staying at one Disney hotel, you're able to travel to any of the lower level hotels and use their amenities like the pool, restaurants, or bars. You also will receive "extra magic hours," meaning certain parks on certain days are open an hour or two earlier and stay open later for those staying in Disney hotels.

4. Pack Smart

One of the most annoying things to see when walking around the parks are those people with an entire backpack full of things. Unless you have a small child that needs a diaper bag, or someone in your group has a disability, there are very few reasons that every person in your group needs to carry a Jansport backpack full of things.

It's a smart idea to carry a backpack-type bag like this one, or a cross body bag, but there's actually a very small amount of items you need to bring into the parks. If you look up Disney packing lists, you will find PDFs pages long with everything imaginable on it. In actuality, if you aren't traveling with any small children, you really only need the following:

- A wallet with your id, credit/debit cards and some cash (no more than a hundred dollars).

- Keys.

- A small bottle of sunscreen.

- A portable charger and charger chord.

- Headphones.

- A light, dry snack (goldfish, chips, grapes, etc.).

- A water bottle (you can refill for free at any snack stand).

- A mini first aid kit (band aids, Advil, moleskin, etc.).

- An extra pair of socks if you plan on going on any water rides.

5. Dress Appropriately

A day at Disney is basically the equivalent of walking a marathon, so it is very important that you are dressed for the occasion. It's important that you wear comfortable shoes that won't rub or give you a blister.

Florida is sweltering hot for ten months out of the year, so, for January through October, shorts and a t-shirt are perfectly fine. For November and December, pants and a light jacket would work just fine. Try avoiding light colors if you plan on going on water rides.

6. Plan Your Meals

Disney, kindly enough, lets you bring food into the parks, as long as it fits in a soft-sided cooler or your bag. If you don't feel like paying for your meals in Disney, you can pack your meals. Try bringing sandwiches, apple slices, potato chips, or prepackaged snacks/meals. Avoid foods like cheese, eggs, milk, anything that has to remain cold or hot for a long period of time.

Take advantage of the Disney meal plans, which you can find details about here. Also, if you or anyone in your group has a dietary restriction (vegan/vegetarian, gluten free, diabetic, etc.), check the menus ahead of time to see what restaurants are able to cater to your needs.

7. Shop When You're Leaving

Everyone loves souvenir shopping, but it's a total hassle to carry around all of your souvenirs for hours. When you buy things at a Disney shop in the parks and you're staying at a Disney hotel they can send it to the hotel, but it will take a day or two, so double check that it will make it to your hotel before you leave.

8. Be Mindful of the Weather

Florida is known for having bipolar weather, so keep that in mind when on vacation. If it suddenly starts raining, don't pack up and leave the park as it's likely that it will stop raining in twenty minutes. If it does start raining, duck into a store, or get in line for an indoor ride.

9. Use the Fireworks and Parades to Your Advantage

If you've already seen the parade or the fireworks, or you don't care to see them, use these times to ride the rides that are generally busy. These rides include Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain and The Seven Dwarves Mine Train.

10. Have fun!

Disney really is where dreams come true so remember to take it easy and have fun!